[3830] CQWW CW VP2MZM M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k2dm@att.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW VP2MZM M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 08:40:10 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: VP2MZM
Operator(s): K2DM, K3ZM
Station: VP2MZM

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Montserrat
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:  154    10       23
   80:  441    18       47
   40: 1671    26       87
   20: 1132    34       99
   15: 1758    28       86
   10:  944    19       49
------------------------------

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Peter and I took a day trip to Montserrat after operating the ARRL DX CW contest
from Antigua this past February.  We decided then and there that VP2M would be
our next contest stop.  We rented a villa and lugged down everything we would
need to have a high power run station and a low power multiplier station.  Two
hard golf cases and four large Pelican cases contained the gear.  We took some
clothes, too, but not much.  We arrived on the island Tuesday morning, and by
Wednesday afternoon we were all set up.  The contest itself was somewhat of a
blur, with nearly constant pileups.  The multiplier station did not work out as
well as planned, so we feel our multiplier total is relatively low, but we are
quite pleased with our contact total.
Much to our surprise, LA9DVA was set up in a nearby villa, operating as VP2MLA.
We could see each other's antennas.  Since TJ had been on the island for over a
week, and had done a LOT of operating, he graciously avoided our operation
during the contest.  We owe a lot of our success to his kindness.
We also owe a heartfelt thank you to Keith "Stone" Greaves, VP2MEG, for
assisting in many ways.  Keith helped us get our licenses, smoothed our entry
through customs and helped us muscle the antennas into place.
Montserrat is beautiful, and the residents are incredibly friendly.  You might
want to consider VP2M for your next DXpedition.  73, George, VP2MDG