[3830] ARRL 160 N1EU Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n1eu@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 N1EU Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 12:05:40 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: N1EU
Operator(s): N1EU
Station: N1EU

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Albany, NY
Operating Time (hrs): 20

Total:  QSOs = 1184  Sections = 78  Countries = 26  Total Score = 257,504

Club: Hudson Valley Contesters and DXers

Comments:

Due to the high winds during last weekend's CQ WW and the very limited afternoon
daylight this time of year, I had to get by for ARRL 160 with the end of my inv
L transmit antenna just dangling up in a tree.  Luckily, its resonance didn't
stray any further upward from 1960Khz and the Acom was thankfully able to load
its 3:1 SWR down at 1800Khz.

Condx were a mixed bag although the band was relatively quiet.  Propagation to
the west coast was excellent but condx were only spotty to Europe.  There was a
window around 0430Z Sunday when DF2PY and ON6AA pounded in, but sigs from Europe
weren't otherwise very strong.  There were fleeting periods of such low noise to
the west that I felt I could easily copy the slightest whisper of a qrp west
coast signal.

One surprise was SM7BIC coming in quite noticeably on a SW (?!) path at 0320Z
Sunday.  Another surprise was C56JHF calling in earlier that evening.  It really
helps to hear quickly in multiple directions!

Statistically, a record number (54) of dupes, and a score 22K lower than my last
significant effort (2002) despite 69 more q's.  Obviously there was less
workable dx from the northeast this year as only 36 five pointers were bagged
compared to 89 in 2002.  78 sections/26 countries this year compared to 75/37 in
'02.

Sections missed: AK/NWT

Thanks for all the q's and apologies to the many callers I couldn't pull
through.

73 & CU in SP,
Barry N1EU

Equipment:
Ten-Tec Orion, Acom 2000A
N1MM Logger software
580ft Beverages NE, SW, NW, SE
inv L (dangling in the trees), elevated radials