[3830] CQWW CW VK9NW SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k9nw@qth.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW VK9NW SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 18:49:52 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: VK9NW
Operator(s): K9NW
Station: VK9NW

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Norfolk Island
Operating Time (hrs): ~35

  160:    0     0        0
   80:    0     0        0
   40:  578    27       70
   20:  280    27       63
   15:  351    28       44
   10:   74    14       15
------------------------------

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

My trip came together in less than two weeks from first inquiry to the time I
left.  Having secured flights and accommodation on the island, I loaded a bunch
of wire, coax, and accessories into my bag and off I went not really knowing
what I was going to have to work with but figuring I'd manage something.  The
best way to plan a contest operation?  Maybe not....but I was on vacation and
was ready to have fun so whatever happened would happen.

Station consisted of:
   Icom IC-746 @ 100w
   Dipoles @ ~12 feet hanging off my balcony, with nice dropoff to the east.

I determined early on that I just wasn't that loud on the high bands but I
plugged away.  Essentially, for a low power/dipole station on Norfolk Island the
bands were mostly a wasteland from a little past sunrise until a little before
sunset.  So I took a lot of breaks, drove into town for snacks, hiked down to
the small beach nearby.....you know, made the best of things!

Somewhat surprisingly I found that I could do reasonably well on 40 and my
numbers bear that out.  Oh yeah....30M was great from there too!  It was pretty
cool working a bunch of W-types long path on 15M Saturday morning.....trying to
imagine what they were thinking hearing that strange call coming through their
normal diet of EUs.  Worked as far inland as OK and TX and I think I heard a
number of other midwest types as well....neat stuff.

While, naturally, I was hoping for a few more QSOs, I have to say this was a lot
of fun!  I have no disappointments.  It was a new challenge setting up a station
completely from scratch in a place thousands of miles from home and it provided
a great sense of satisfaction.  I've been fortunate to operate from DX locations
a number of times, but always from existing stations with towers, etc.

Very happy to be a mult for, well, everyone I worked!

73, Mike K9NW  (VK9NW)