[3830] CQWW CW 3D2XA M/M LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k2kw@prodigy.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW 3D2XA M/M LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 21:21:42 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: 3D2XA
Operator(s): K2KW, N6BT, AG9A, W2VJN, WA6O, KE7X,
Station: 3D2XA

Class: M/M LP
QTH: Taveuni Island, Fiji
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:  123    12       15
   80:  839    30       57
   40: 1680    34      101
   20: 1412    38      114
   15: 1889    34       90
   10: 1571    31       61
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

Another Team Vertical expedition...  We decided to do a low power operation to
keep things simpler.  Though with 300' RG-8X coax runs on 10-40, we barely got
25 watts to the 10m antenna, and 65 watts on 40m.  With that kind of power for
the Pacific, we thought we did a pretty good job.  Luckily we had the extra coax
for these long runs, as feedback from the owner indicated 150' runs would be
about right.

Primary Ops:
160: W2VJN ? 3D2SS
80:  N6BT  ? 3D2TS
40:  AG9A  ? 3D2EE
20:  K2KW  ? 3D2KW
15:  KE7X  ? 3D2XA
10:  WA6O  ? 3D2OK

Upon arrival on Taveuni Island, AG9A discovered that his radio was not working
("thanks" to TSA).  After pulling apart the radio, it was obvious that his TS-50
radio was dropped on the tuning knob and broke the opto-coupler (VFO knob).  We
scrambled to find a replacement around the world, though could not find one.  We
also discovered it didn?t matter if we found the part, since the remoteness of
our location made it impossible to get a replacement before the contest started.
  Thinking we were down to 5 stations, AG9A and W2VJN did last minute surgery
and temporarily merged W2VJN?s TS-50 front control panel to AG9A?s RF deck so
AG9A could set all his menus.  After menus were set, respective rigs were put
back together.  Since AG9A didn?t have a VFO, to tune around the bands AG9A had
to use the up/down keys of the mobile mike he brought!

Interesting (read poor) conditions both pre and during the contest.  Pileups
before the contest were minimal compared to operating in ZK1/s in August 2003
during major solar storms.  We also had relativley small pileups during the
contest too.

Working Europe on any band was TOUGH.  In the contest we only worked a total of
73 stations in zone 14 on all bands combined: 4 on 80m, 16 on 40m, 52 on 20m,
and 1 on 10m.  None made it into the log on 15m.  Zone 15 was not much better,
with a total of 229 zone 15 stations worked.  I am sure that running a KW would
have boosted those numbers quite a bit, but it simply seemed conditions over the
pole were just not good for us.

While conditions were bad, every night we also had to contend with hundreds of
very LARGE bats that would descend on the huge mango tree just outside the
shack.  Those bats sure made a ruckus, and every few seconds made screeching
sounds that were loud and eerie. Going outside was like Halloween every night!

160m operations were also much harder than expected.  We were weak on this band,
and for the most part, only big stations were able to work us.  Even Japanese
stations were not as strong as they should have been.  Surprisingly VY1JA was
quite strong when he called on 160m.  I happened to be in the chair at the time,
and verified it was J since I simply didn?t believe it would be him!  Including
the contest, we made somewhat over 300 QSOs on Top Band, though many of them
were repeat QSOs since we used at least 3 callsigns on 160 before the contest.
We did much better on 80m, handing out nearly 2000 QSOs on that band before and
during the contest.

As QSO rates in the contest were lighter than expected, we passed almost every
QSO, mult or not.  Many thanks to those who moved for us!  Actually, I think
most people were pretty surprised that a Mult asked THEM to QSY.

While there are more stories to tell, the team still had a fun time.  The island
of Taveuni is a lush, beautiful and quiet island, and the Fiji islanders are a
warm and generous people.  We had a great time relaxing, hiking, and
snorkeling.

The antennas were typical of smaller Team Vertical operations:  single verticals
on 160 and 80, and 2 element parasitic vertical arrays on 10-40m.  This year the
10-40m antennas were IN salt water, where in previous locations they were
mounted on land within a few feet of the water.  Thanks again to Force 12 for
providing the antennas.  Also thanks to N1MM and the gang for writing some neat
software, which we all used on this trip.

Please QSL all 3D2 stations on this operation to Kappy, WA4WTG.

There are some pictures on N6BT's website
http://www.force12inc.com/F12-Team-Vertical-Fiji.htm

K2KW will post more pictures in the following weeks on his website:
http://www.k2kw.com/3d2

73, Kenny K2KW ? 3D2KW