[3830] ARRL 160 W1ECT Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 W1ECT Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 07:59:39 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: W1ECT
Operator(s): W1ECT
Station: W1ECT

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: NH
Operating Time (hrs): 16.7

Total:  QSOs = 900  Sections = 73  Countries = 22  Total Score = 180,120

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Station: Kenwood 950, Titan 425, Shunt fed 100' tower, 580' beverage NE/SW

www.xmlog.com/shack

Friday: Got off to a good start, a nice change from the CQ WW last weekend.
Picked a frequency and started calling CQ and didn?t stop/move for four and a
half hours!  I think that?s probably my longest stint in one place for any
contest.  Then I did my first band scan and managed a 100/hr rate until I hit
the DX window.  There was almost nothing happening there, the only DX stations I
worked were those that called me while I was CQ?ing.  Did lots more
CQ?ing/scanning and managed to keep a pretty good rate.  Made one last check of
the DX window at 1:30AM and worked VA5DX and went to bed with 590 QSOs, 64
sections and 13 countries.

Saturday: Heard some of the big guys calling CQ at 2:30 in the afternoon so I
figured I?d see what kind of rate I could generate.  Started up a CQ loop and
managed to work 90 stations in three hours.  Now with nearly 700 stations logged
I assumed when the sun set I wasn?t going to see the rates I saw the previous
night and that turned out to be the case.  It was also pretty tough finding
anyone new when doing band scans.  Took a long break and when I came back after
9:00 I was getting much better rates for a couple of hours until things slowed
to a crawl again.  I wanted to push the QSO total to 900 and it was pretty tough
getting those last few QSOs.

I had my best section total ever.  Missed LAX, Wyoming, three VE?s (BC, MB, and
Yukon), KP4, and Alaska.

Not much DX heard as compared to previous years and fewer DX QSOs meant a
relatively low point total and score.  The country total was OK but didn't work
a single DX station by calling him, they all called me.  Whenever I went
searching for multipliers the few DX stations I would find were guys that
already had worked me.  My best DX moment was getting called by KS4AT and having
him giving me a section of PAC, asking for his call again and finding out he was
KH6AT.  Just to make things more interesting I was called by KH6ZM twenty
minutes later.

Sunday:  Watched the Patriots beat up the Browns.