[3830] ARRL 160 K9FO(@WB9Z) M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, howard@keynet.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 K9FO(@WB9Z) M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 23:08:19 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: K9FO
Operator(s): K9FO, WB9Z, K9NR, K9CS, AK9F
Station: WB9Z

Class: M/S HP
QTH: IL
Operating Time (hrs): 30

Total:  QSOs = 1551  Sections = 78  Countries = 38  Total Score = 387,324

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

This was a great year for our annual multi-op effort at WB9Z.  Conditions were
excellent with lots of DX, and a great way to celebrate Will, K9FO's 50th year
in ham radio.  We used K9FO this year, as we used AK9F last year and will use
Carl's call K9CS next year as we all move into our second half century in the
hobby.  Youngsters WB9Z and K9NR round out the team, and together we 5 have a
total of 219 years as hams!

As usual, Jerry's WB9Z station is a dream to work from, and as many of you know,
he and Lori are wonderful hosts. The transmit antenna is a 3/8 wavelength (160')
series fed insulated vertical PiRod tower with 120 radials.  RX is with 6
beverages (1000-1200') plus a couple penants. We've operated this contest
together for nearly 3 decades now, and this was definitely one of our better
efforts:

We're fairly proud of our effort, but must congratulate John, K9DX, for his
incredible score.  John, how one guy with only one brain, two hands and two ears
can rack up a score like that is amazing.  You are to be commended.

The high point, for me at least, was working all the DX this year. It was more
like a CQ-WW event than a North American oriented ARRL outing.  A particular
high point for me was piecing together the C5 (Gambia) call from all the bits
and pieces we were hearing amongst the intense QRM. It was surprising that the
East coast guys were having so much trouble with EU being killed by aurora.
While here, the Europeans were their normal strength, for the most part darned
weak.  But we expect that in IL. Perhaps the aurora was a bit of an equalizer
for we souls out here in the "Black Hole" of the midwest.

The signals for the JA opening Saturday morning were incredibly strong, about
the best we've ever heard here.  And the VK's at Sunday sunrise were
amazing....sounded almost stateside.

The low point is now dealing with the intestinal aftermath of all that
gastronomical abuse!  It was amazing how my insides reacted to a large two-night
continuous intake of cashews, mixed nuts, chocolate chip cookies, frosted
pretzels, Freetos, Cheetos and donuts, all held down by a couple quarts of
K9FO's fabulous chili, dusted with an ample charge of extra chili powder.  I
just don't understand it...it's our standard contesting chow...just must be
getting old!

We wish to thank all the many SMC members who got on 160 to give us a contact.
It's that kind of support that makes the SMC such a great, winning organization.
 Thanks also for the spots on the cluster during those slow times.

All have a great holiday season!

73,

Howard
AK9F