[3830] ARRL 10 VK4HF SO SSB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, VK4HF@keylink.com.au
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 VK4HF SO SSB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 02:23:50 -0800
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: VK4HF
Operator(s): VK4HF
Station: VK4HF

Class: SO SSB HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

   CW:
  SSB:
-------------------
Total:  549    78  Total Score = 85,644

Club:

Comments:

Hi All,
Well, have you ever been watching the start of a big car race
and some poor guy stalls his car when the race starts?? Well it
happened to me on Saturday morning too. "Murphy" gave me an equipment
failure to play with 2 hours before the start and I didn't get back
on the air until over 40 minutes of the contest had GONE. Yes the all
important first hour and then I lost another half hour worrying about
anything else that I didn't check over. Oh well I then settled down
and got going and had a lot of fun.
"Murf" threw in a couple of thunder storms here locally that gave me
static crashes that made me think I was on 80m and that didn't make
it any too easy to hear the replies coming back...half the world
thinks I'm old and deaf I'm sure. Then of course to top it off...what
happens with thunder storms.....yep Power Black Out...OH Goodie..

On a positive note, it was grreat fun and even more fun to work
fellow VKCC members Eddie VK4AN and Scott VK4CZ and David VK2CZ and
Nick VK1AA/m.(Thanks for persisting in the middle of one of the
storms Nick). David VK2CZ was really hammering out the Q's and was
130 ahead of me when I started, so he must have done really
well...congratulations David. And I can't remember in my 25 years of
ham radio when I have ever been called by Mongolia on any band let
alone 10m.

Some of the DX to work on TEN was amazing for this part of the cycle
and some of the goodies were:
BW0IR-BD4SW-VR2XLN-P40ZZ-PJ4Z-HI3CCP-OA4/DL4MN-HP3XBS-TI5N-JT1BV-
FK8HN-ZF2NT-TG9NX-T42TD-PJ2T-JD1BIA on Ogasawara.

Then the EU opening on Sunday afternoon was so much fun and I even
worked EA8CAC in the Canary Is after dinner when the band seemed
mostly quiet. SO many EU's it was great to be on 10 when it happened.

Well that was my first contest in 11 years with the RD in '93 being
my last. I top scored VK in the RD in '92 &'93 and this was just so
much more fun than that.
I'll submit my log for VKCC and I'll try to put on a better
show of it next time.
Many thanks to those who persisted with the conditions long enough to get into
my log and to those who couldn't wait, I hope to log you next time.

Can't wait 'til the next one.
73's
Rick VK4HF