[3830] ARRL 10 F6IRF M/S LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, f6irf@free.fr
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 F6IRF M/S LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 11:27:43 -0800
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: F6IRF
Operator(s): F6IRF,  GB7UJS-CLUSTER
Station: F6IRF

Class: M/S LP
QTH: JN35
Operating Time (hrs): ~12

   CW:  135    48
  SSB:   68    34
-------------------
Total:  203    82  Total Score = 55,432

Club: CDXC

Comments:

IC756proII - Optibeam OB6-3M @12m
N1MM logger 4.0.181 -  DX-Cluster

Almost as boring as a 6m contest without condx... But on the other hand almost
as amazing as the "magic-band" propagation-wise.
Started for a SO CW LP effort, but never managed to start a CW-run lasting more
than 10 QSO's, so after 3 hours when I could not find anybody new to work
anymore and nobody to reply to my CQ's, I turned the cluster on, and shifted to
a "part time" M/S effort (With SSB it could really look like a 6m contest !).
Could not start a run on SSB either, but at least having both modes doubled the
number of stations to hunt, and having the cluster allowed me to do other
things, while keeping an eye on the rare openings (keeping and eye is the proper
word with the 756...).
The conditions also, have been very similar to 6m  - MS in the morning,
capricious paths (stations spotted 200kms away fm me that I could not hear at
all), and typical "after dark" E's openings to YU/YO/LZ/UR (which is the most
frequent E's opening on 6m fm JN35).
A few amazing examples:
- Worked VR2BG easily at long path after having tried several times at short
path without success (though my take-off is quite poor for LP and quite good to
SP).
- ZF2NT suddenly popped-up on the 756 spectrum display, Sunday at sunset, while
the band was already closed (after I had tried his spot dozens of times during
those 2 days).
- WE3C only US station worked on Sunday with beam for LU... (was not audible
with beam to direct path)
- IT9### only station on the band  Sunday at 2140 local time, begging "spot me,
please spot me..."

To tell the truth I was not expecting a single W, so was not disappointed - I
did not hear any in SSB,  so from my QTH the MUF must have just been touching
the bottom of the 28Mhz band. Did not hear either any station in Canada and in
any Scandinavian or Baltic country... In short a strange contest where you
better had to be very south... just like on 6m.
Just a suggestion to ARRL: next year please organize the ARRL10m fm 21000 to
21450 ;-)
Thanks all for the QSO's - Patrick

dxcc   Total    CW   USB
UA        41    35     6