[3830] TBDC N6WG Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n6wg@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] TBDC N6WG Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 17:58:34 -0800
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: N6WG
Operator(s): N6WG
Station: N6WG

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: Newark CA
Operating Time (hrs): 14

Total:  QSOs = 108  Total Score = 1,524

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Wow, this was an ordeal.  I put in more hours than last year
and wound up with the same number of QSOs.  I pulled an all-
nighter to see if I could pick up a few more QSOs and beat last year.
No joy.  During 0900 and 1200 hours had no QSOs at all.
I heard lots of signals, but had worked them all earlier.  When
S&P ran out of new stations to work, I resorted to CQing.  I've
discovered that 57 of my 108 QSOs came from CQing.  Must have
been a lot of other S&P stations out there.  This is almost
53% of my total QSOs from CQing, a major change from the past.
My 1524 score doesn't include credit for any fellow QRPers I may
have worked.  This beats my 102 Qs and 1196 points from last year
anyway.

It seemed to me this year that the Stew Perry just lacked enough
critical mass to sustain interest.  With conditions being in the
dumper, I'm working harder than ever just to stand still :-)  If
there really were as many stations as ever out there, I sure
couldn't find them.

I've been working on my receiving gear, and now have my full-size
Flag loop plus a large rotatable tuned loop.  It is at least as
sensitive as the Flag, plus I can turn it to reduce some background
noises.  Not all, unfortunately.  Each loop has strengths and
weaknesses, but they complement each other well.  Both loops have
close to the same output level, so I can run them into the same
homebrew preamp with an antenna switch.

My remotely-tuned TX vertical worked well.  I could either peak it
in the center of a 30 kHz window above or below the DX window, or
for a prolonged period of CQing, I could peak it on the frequency
I chose.

For me the bright spot was working PJ2/WB9Z, for a new most-distant
contact.  I also worked two KH6 for backup.  Nothing east of Ohio
worked this year stateside.  Farthest grid contacted in the states
was EN71 (K9NW in NW Ohio).

Now I'm looking forward to the NAQP, and then CQ WW 160 cw.  Maybe
conditions will have improved in a month.

See you all in the contests.
73, Bob N6WG