[3830] NAQP CW N8II Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW N8II Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 05:45:28 -0800
                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): 10

  160:  121    41
   80:  139    46
   40:  116    40
   20:  139    42
   15:   99    41
   10:   57    24
-------------------
Total:  671   234  Total Score = 157,685

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team: PVRC #2

Comments:

There was aurora Friday night (very clean copyable 6 M SSB sigs) and 15 M was
 not open to Eu Sat AM, so I expected condx to be a real bummer for NAQP.
Other
 than the dissapointment of no sporadic E and low solar flux, I was wrong.
 Things were pretty much normal for this point in the solar cycle. 10M was
 surprisingly good, but no Rocky mtn propagation; the West Coast was loud for
 quite a long time and actually much louder than on 15M. The backscatter was
 weak but workable on 10 and 15M. Overall, I was pleased with the effort on
 10, 15, and 160M, but kinda fell short on 80 thru 20M. I probably called CQ
 too much during the daylight hours which caused me to miss some mults. I did
 move quite a few around, but there's room for improvement. I missed MD on
40M;
 activity from MD in PVRC land was very low. There was no QRN on 160/80 and
 signals from the Midwest and closer were very good. I think the guys out West
 were on higher bands because the few stations I worked like KO7X and CA were
 pretty loud on 160.
   The activity in NAQP folows the West Coast strategy to a tee. It follows
 whichever band favors West Coast to East Coast propagation the best.
 Consequently, us guys back East are screwed. At this point in the cycle,
 moving to 20 after 21Z and 40 after 22Z is too late to catch many of the
close
 in states; come on guys East of the Mississippi, check 20 and 40 EARLIER, so
 you get the close in Q's and mults. To compound the 40M misery at sunset,
 there was the ARRL RTTY RU and they were all over the band from 7025 up.
   I did have rig trouble, the T/R relay was hanging up in my TS-940S and
 the CW signal is not clean; time for a new rig. I lost about 10-15 min. I had
 to switch to the FT-920 which hears the weak ones well, but has poor Rx
 bandwidth which discouraged CQ's on 80 along with TVI in reverse from a large
 screen TV upstairs.
   VE3,CA,GA,IN,NM,PA,TN,TX,VA, and WV were worked on all six bands. Thanks to
 N2NC, N2IC, K7SV, and W4OC for Q's on all six! VP9/W6PH, XE2MX, V31JP, and
 ZF2NT were pretty active; I should have done better with ZF and V3.
   I like the 100W limit. Most signals were good copy, but very few were huge
 causing extra QRM.
   Officially I worked 10 hours, but took a couple of short breaks including
 a dinner break. I had a little more gas left in the tank at 0415Z, than I
 expected to have. Thanks for the Q's; it livened up what would have been a
 really dull radio weekend.