[3830] RTTY Roundup AB5K Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] RTTY Roundup AB5K Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 17:00:08 -0800
                    ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: AB5K
Operator(s): AB5K
Station: AB5K

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Bee Cave, TX
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

------------
   80:  225
   40:  408
   20:  681
   15:  483
   10:    5
------------
Total: 1802  State/Prov = 59  Countries = 63  Total Score = 219,844

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

On Saturday, at the start of the contest, the SFI was 84 and the A-Index was
40.  To my surprise, band conditions were a lot better that the WWV numbers
indicated.

I got a real slow start at the beginning of the contest.  I arrived at the
house 5 minutes after the contest started, it took 5 minutes for the amps to
warm up and by then the bands were crowded with no place to CQ.  I went up
high on 20 and 15 and found a hole.  Five minutes later a VE called in and
the program crashed.  The crash was due to a modification I have made in the
source code and was easily fixed.  To the VE that I lost, sorry.

Despite all of the mishaps, I was finally off and running and finished the
hour with 105 Q's.   The 100 Q per hour rate was just like the energizer
bunny, it kept going and going.  As evening fell, a shift to the lower
frequencies, still found propagation was good enough to allow the rate of
100 Q's per hour.  Saturday night, 11 hours into the contest, the rate was
still at 100 Q's per hour and there were 1114 Q's in the log.   The 80 meter
band was quite allowing Q's as far away as UA9.  Things slowed a bit after
that and at midnight, with 12 hours of operating time, the log was at 1180 Q
's.  Boy what a lot of fun.

Sunday was just the opposite and was a lot of work. Rates were slow and it
was hard to get any runs going.   The Q total slowly climbed and was at 1844
(1802 after dupes) when the contest ended.  That's a personal best for me.

Other than my software flub, the station played well and there were no
issues. Worked all 50 states plus DC.   Thanks to everyone for the Q's.