[3830] NAQP SSB K8MAD(@K8CC) M/2 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB K8MAD(@K8CC) M/2 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 07:34:08 -0800
                    North American QSO Party, SSB

Call: K8MAD
Operator(s): K8CC, KA8WFC, KD8AAG, KD8APB, KG6URI, KT8X
Station: K8CC

Class: M/2 LP
QTH: MI
Operating Time (hrs): 04:08

  160:   58    25
   80:  106    40
   40:   83    30
   20:   82    25
   15:   27    13
   10:    9     5
-------------------
Total:  365   138  Total Score = 50,370

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Team:

Comments:

We had visitors to the K8CC shack the afternoon of NAQP SSB.  Dennis, KT8X
brought over some members of the University Of Mighigan ARC for a tour of the
K8CC station.  Eight visitors came, mostly students with a couple of alumni.
All but two were licensed, and those two are working on their tickets.

The crew arrived around 1730Z.  We toured the station, and since most of them
were engineers they were interested in the details about how things worked.  We
had a great time telling stories and revisiting the history of W8UM.  After
about two hours, some had to leave to go on to other things, but four stuck
around to try a little NAQP action.

Dennis and I got everything started by showing our visitors the ropes, then
encouraging them to get in the chair and work people.  Their familiarity with HF
radios and the FT-1000s varied, but they jumped right in and all four made at
least a few QSOs.  The most prolific was Jon/KG6URI - Dennis got him a spot on
20M SSB with the voicekeyer programmed to CQ and after a few tentative minutes
Jon was running them like a pro.  All in all, while the students were here we
were on the air for 01:38 and put 108 QSOs in the log between the two rigs.

After the students left I did a little more operating as family activities would
allow.  I had a good run on 7193 in the 21Z-22Z timeframe before the band went
long.  The rotator under 3L 40 is frozen to the NE, so it was pretty much
useless for NAQP QSOs and without the yagi, I struggled after dark to work
people out west.  Like others in this area, I too had a hard time making 80M
play early, although signals were good.  Instead, I went down to 160M in the
late 02Z hour and got a really good run going for 30 minutes or so on 1844, when
I made most of my 160M QSOs.  I later came back to 80M in the 04Z-05Z time
frame, grabbed 3793 and got a tremendous run going.  It started to peter out
just as the score counter rolled over 50K so I went QRT.

It was great fun having the U of M guys (and girls) over for the afternoon.
This is a club with a tremendous history (licensed in 1912!).  I told the
students of the big SS battles in the late 60s and early 70s between W8UM and
W8SH (MI State), W8LT (OH State), W9YB (Purdue), W9YH (U of WI), K9IU (U of IN),
etc.  Heck, it was almost like Big-Ten football!  The club is making good
progress on getting QRV again.  They have a new club room, a new Omni-6 donated
from Ten-Tec, an 80/40 fan dipole, a 20/15/10 vertical and permission to put up
a tower.  Dennis and I have gotten them enthusiastic about MiQP, where they're
going to challenge W8SH.

73,

Dave/K8CC