[3830] NAQP SSB W7UQ M/2 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, park2735@uidaho.edu
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB W7UQ M/2 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 13:57:24 -0800
                    North American QSO Party, SSB

Call: W7UQ
Operator(s): KE7AHG  KE7CJO  KC7WIL  KE7AHJ  KB5TSS  KC7RSO  KL9A VA3GEW
Station: W7UQ

Class: M/2 LP
QTH: Moscow ID
Operating Time (hrs): 12

  160:
   80:  121    27
   40:   20    12
   20:  118    33
   15:  111    26
   10:    4     4
-------------------
Total:  374   102  Total Score = 38,147

Club: Worldwide Young Contesters

Team:

Comments:

First of all this contest was not about the numbers.  We came into this contest
with the intent of having a multi 2 operation with two purposes.  First of all
for the new members of the University of Idaho ARC to be exposed to HF. Two, get
the older members of W7UQ active on HF.  IT WORKED!  If you worked W7UQ in this
contest, chances are you may have been the first contacts many of this crew has
ever had.  Thanks for your patience!  The crew quickly picked up how the
exchange went and overcame the intimidation of sitting in front of those HF
rigs.
Frank Mitchell (KE7AHG) opened the contest up with his first ever QSO with K9NS
on 15 meters.  After putting a few more in the log Frank switched to 10 meters
to drum up some numbers.  We were hopeful that 10 meters would produce something
more than 4 Q?s but that was not to be.  Frank was joined by his girl friend
Sarah Park and they teamed up together on 20 meters while it was still slow.
They make a great team, and I think Sarah is convinced to get her license during
the next testing session.
Chris Jones (KE7CJO) arrived shortly after the contest started, and sat down on
15 meters.  After making his first ever QSO he slugged them into the log with
Aaron KC7RSO helping him at the controls.  Good work Chris you did a great
job.
        Another operator that made an appearance for his first time on HF was
Joshua
Werner (VA3GEW).  Josh is also a new member to the W7UQ club and he did a great
job of searching around and grabbing those contacts.
        Jill Nieborsky (KC7WIL) not a new ham but a new member of the club sat
right
down and went to work on 20 meters.  Jill had some contesting experience while
growing up and was ready to go.  Jill and Sarah sat together for a couple hours
on 20 meters and did a great job.  Later on in the contest Jill?s fiancé Andrew
McConaghy sat in listening as Jill switched from search and pounce to running on
20 meter.  Afterward while asking Jill if Andrew is going to get his license she
said ? He better?.  Great job guys.
Andrew Gulbrandsen (KE7AHJ) made his HF debut on 15 meters and was immediately
convinced to work harder on his code to get the upgrade.  He did a great job of
trolling the band and finding contacts.  Good work and good luck on the upgrade
Andrew.
Our club president Kyle (KB5TSS) made his appearance later on in the afternoon,
and was joined by Jeff Spellmen.  Jeff came up and watched us do field day this
last year and is almost convinced to get his license.  Great work Mr. president
for your efforts in contesting and promoting Ham Radio to your friends.
Overall we had a great time.  Aaron (KC7RSO) and Chris (KL9A) stood by and
served as contesting mentors.  Even though we had very little op time we were
excited to see the insurgence of new contesters to the University of Idaho ARC.
Be sure to watch for us in upcoming contests and hold on to your hats because
W7UQ will be hitting the bands hard for high rates and many Q?s

Equipment used:
        Rigs: Icom IC-746 Club owned, Kenwood TS-2000 KC7RSO?s rig
        Antennas: Hy-Gain Th7 Triband, 40 meter Dipole, 80 meter Dipole

73 We look forward to the next contest.
Aaron Parker KC7RSO
W7UQ University of Idaho ARC