[3830] ARRL Jan VHF N5XU(WM5R) Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wm5r@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL Jan VHF N5XU(WM5R) Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 05:18:09 -0800

  3.4:   0     0
  5.7:   0     0
  10G:   0     0
  24G:   0     0
-------------------
Total:   6     4  Total Score = 28

Club:

Comments:

I stopped by the University of Texas club station to drop off some QSTs, and
decided to make a few contacts.  The VHF/UHF gear at the station has been
largely unused for the past couple of years, and some things are starting to
break.  The Yaesu FT-726R had problems switching back to receive after
transmitting, and it no longer keys the 400W 144 MHz amplifier, so I was limited
to 20 watts on that band (and having to toggle power when I concluded a
transmission to get my receiver back.)  The fuse holder in the DC power cable on
the 60W 432 MHz amp broke some time ago and has never been repaired, so I was
limited to 20 watts output there as well.  On 222 MHz, the 400W amplifier and
transverter seem to be working fine, but the Realistic HTX-100 used as an IF rig
isn't putting out any power any more.  50 MHz was working fine at 100 watts out,
but there was almost nobody around for the contest to work.

In a half hour of active operating, including a lot of CQing on three different
bands, I could only work one member of the local VHF/UHF weak signal club (in
contrast, I worked two operators active in the local HF contest club.)  It seems
like since that weak signal club was founded, the members have stopped operating
VHF contests, which makes any but the June contest or the 50 MHz Spring Sprint a
lot less interesting, and the main reason I've stopped taking the January or
September contests seriously.