[3830] CQ160 CW W1CTN Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW W1CTN Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 16:42:06 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: W1CTN
Operator(s): W1CTN
Station: W1CTN

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: CT
Operating Time (hrs): 9

Total:  QSOs = 230  State/Prov = 47  Countries = 19  Total Score = 48,444

Club: CTRI Contest Group

Comments:

Another enjoyable 160 meter contest. CW is not my primary mode but I am
beginning to enjoy it more. I just find the little pileups I get to be a little
overwhelming. But at least I am getting some QSO's! I did approximately 70% S&P
and 30% running. When you are low power on top band you have to be flexible
enough to know when to QSY.

I felt that conditions were pretty good, as a fair amount of DX was heard (but
most not worked) here. West coast stations were heard and worked here in CT
earlier than in the past. Just never heard ND, SD, MS, LA, MT, ID and of course
KL7.

Maybe next year I should just concentrate on finding and working Alaska for
WAS.

I have descent luck receiving here, but a couple of pennants and beverages would
not hurt, I just need to find the time to erect them. Here is my arsenal for 160
meters. (a real pop gun affair)

Rig: FT1000MP MK 5 @ 100 watts
Ant: 1/4 wave inverted L - 45' vertical x 83' horizontal.
Ground system: 32 radials ~100 feet long in marshy soil.

Projects for top band:
a. Make the L into a cage or conical to increase bandwidth
b. 2 pennant antennas
c. 2 beverages

BTW, I wish more people would post their antenna farms when posting their
scores.
Big, small or real compromises I think everyone is interested in antennas on top
band, so please post your info. Just my .02

Thanks for all the QSO's and CU in 160 SSB contest.

73 from Radio Ansonia,
Dave W1CTN