[3830] CQ160 CW W4EF(@W4EF/6) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w4ef@dellroy.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW W4EF(@W4EF/6) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 19:46:29 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: W4EF
Operator(s): W4EF
Station: W4EF/6

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 17.5

Total:  QSOs = 643  State/Prov = 54  Countries = 17  Total Score = 140,296

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

Rig: Yaesu FT-847

Amplifier: Drake L-7 at 1KW output

Power Source: 2 x Honda EU2000i Generators in Parallel

Antenna: 45ft tall top loaded vertical w/16 x 100ft radials (Friday night)
         25 x 100ft radials (Saturday night)

http://www.dellroy.com/W4EF's-Ham-Radio-Page/Salton-Sea-05/Salton-Sea.htm

Operated portable along the eastern shore of the Salton Sea with a 45 ft top
loaded vertical (modified gap antenna). Had planned to put up a W8JI shorty 4
square that I built for receiving, but my wife and I got to the site too late
and I just didn't have time to get it installed and get any sleep. I had hoped
to put it up during the day on Saturday, but the SRA park ranger made me move my
TX antenna because I was blocking the turnaround for 18-wheelers who use the
park's porta-potties at night, so I spent all day Saturday tearing it down and
re-installing it (including the 2500 feet of radial wire). After moving the TX
antenna, there was just no time left for installing the RX array. The park
ranger was kind enough to let me operate all night on Friday before she made me
move the TX antenna on Saturday morning, so I can't complain too much (next time
I will ask permission before I install my antenna - hi). Anyway, it was too bad
about the RX array since I had S5 to S7 power line noise all weekend from the
nearby medium voltage lines. It definitely would have helped (ahh, next year).

BTW, sorry for any dupes I may have inflicted on others. My new (used) laptop
bombed out on QSO #1 (K9DX), so I threw it aside and logged the whole contest on
notebook paper with no dupesheet (I didn't have time to make one up - hi).

Congratulations to Ken, N6RO for setting a new (and exceptional) highwater mark
from W6 in the CQ 160. I hope have my act more together next year and be gunning
for him.