[3830] NA Sprint CW W6YX(N7MH) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint CW W6YX(N7MH) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 20:49:33 -0800
                    NA Sprint CW Contest

Call: W6YX
Operator(s): N7MH
Station: W6YX

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 4

   80:   72    0:57
   40:  130    1:44
   20:  116    1:19
---------------------

Club:

Team: NCCC #1

Comments:

We had a contest conflict at the station this weekend with the Sprint and WPX
RTTY happening at the same time.  The RTTY guys kindly let me use one of the two
stations from the WX5S effort in WPX RTTY so I could do Sprint.  I set up a
separate computer running TR and hooked it up at 2345Z to make sure everything
was working.

I used a low 205CA on 20 meters since our big KLM Yagi is on the same mast as
the best 15-meter antenna for JA, which was being used for RTTY.  There is an
intermittent connection somewhere in the lines to the 205CA, which doesn't
affect transmitting, but causes the receiver audio to abruptly lose many dB of
signal strength, recovering only after transmitting.  Sorry if I asked for lots
of repeats.

After I switched to 40 meters the rate went down and nobody seemed to hear me.
After about 15 minutes I realized that the 4-element Yagi was still pointed at
Japan from the RTTY contest.  The rate picked up after I rotated the antenna to
point at the east coast.  I was getting mild interference from the RTTY station,
now on 20 meters, even though both stations had ICE filters.

I moved to 80 meters (only 2 band changes in all) just after 0300Z and could
hear a bunch of midwest and east coast stations that couldn't hear me, mainly
because they were all working each other.

I heard W7CA in UT on 80 and VA7ST on 20, the only mults I heard but didn't
work.  Congratulations to everyone on all the big numbers that were being sent.
Thanks to the WX5S RTTY crew who let me use one of their operating positions for
just over 4 hours.

-Mike, N7MH