[3830] NA Sprint CW W1NN(@N2BA) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint CW W1NN(@N2BA) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 05:53:08 -0800
                    NA Sprint CW Contest

Call: W1NN
Operator(s): W1NN
Station: N2BA

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: NY
Operating Time (hrs): 4

   80:   83    1:12
   40:  103    1:24
   20:   97    1:24
---------------------

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Team: MRRC

Comments:

Thanks to Brooke N2BA for allowing me to use his excellent station.  I didn't do
his setup justice, but it sure was fun trying.  Brooke's station has a lot of
capabilities that I didn't have time to get comfortable with, so I kept things
as simple as possible and used just a single rig.  In keeping things simple, I
made only 3 QSYs, but this was probably a mistake.

Hourly rates were a highly inconsistent 84, 62, 76 and 62.  My normal pattern in
the Sprint has been to get off to a lousy start and do considerably better in
the last half of the contest, but this time it was the opposite.  Starting with
20 Q's in 13 minutes on 40 Meters and then going to 20 Meters  certainly helped
the first hour, and I suppose staying too long on 20 (something I always do) was
the main reason for the terrible second hour.  The third hour saw a recovery,
due mainly to having a fresh band to use, but I can't account for the lousy last
hour.  80 was in good shape and several stations in my part of the country had
over 120 contacts there, so either I was just exhausted or the station was not
playing too well on 80.  Exhaustion is the most likely excuse, since I hadn't
had much sleep the night before and had been up since 5 AM making the trip from
Ohio to New York and setting up the station.

My main goal in contesting is to build my own reasonably decent SO2R station and
be able to control my work schedule enough to be home for every CW Sprint.  Then
hopefully I will be able to move to the next level in the best contest of all.

Hope to see everyone again in September from somewhere.

73,

Hal W1NN