[3830] ARRLDX CW W6YI M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n6mj@adelphia.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW W6YI M/2 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 21:30:31 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: W6YI
Operator(s): W6YI, N6MJ, K6AM, N6KI
Station: W6YI

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:   39    22
   80:  266    62
   40:  855    98
   20:  687   104
   15:  644    91
   10:   71    40
-------------------
Total: 2562   417  Total Score = 3,198,807

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

The original plan was for N6MJ to do SOAB from Jim's station, but K6AM and
N6KI's planned trip to XE got cancelled 2 weeks before the contest.  So we
decided to throw together a small M/2 operation.  We did a M/2 for CQWW so we
sorta knew what to expect, but murphy decided to pay a visit and he stayed
around all weekend.

The 1st problem happened during station setup.  We managed to blow up one of the
FT1000MPMkV's, so we had to switch it out and put a TS950SDX in its place.  The
other major problem was the rain.  Normally rain is good for us, because it
quiets down all the power poles.. but this time it really hurt us.  Whenever it
would start raining, we would get 20 over 9 noise on all bands.  It sounded like
a power pole would start arcing, and it would last anywhere between 10 and 30
minutes at a time then it would quiet down again.  This went on all weekend
long, but we probably only lost a total of 2 hours total to the noise.  Then on
sunday morning, the usual power line noise came back.  It wasnt very loud, but
loud enough to wipe out about half the europeans that called in on 15.  I
apologize for being such an alligator!!  We ended the contest at 2330z after
both stations CQed for 10 minutes straight with no answers.. at that point, we
had had enough.

Condx were not very good.  80m was very spotty, and EU was very weak all
weekend.  We did manage to work 45 EU on 80 and most of the easy mults, but
every Q was a struggle.  The 1st night 40m barely opened to EU.  We only had a
total of 2 EU answer our CQ, and with a 4 el yagi @ 160ft, we normally do quite
well into EU.  Luckily the 2nd night was much better, and we were able to run EU
until about 09z.  We had decent LP openings both mornings, but it seemed like
there werent many EU looking for it.  10m was just plain aweful. We didnt work a
single JA even though we kept checking for them constantly.  We managed to work
CU2M and CT1BOH from EU skew path.

Despite all the problems, we all still had fun.  K6AM and N6MJ put in about 43
hours each, and N6KI was with us for about 14 hours.  W6YI helped out for a few
hours as well.

73, Dan N6MJ and the crew