[3830] ARRLDX CW K1TN SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, cainjim@mindspring.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW K1TN SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 03:52:00 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: K1TN
Operator(s): K1TN
Station: K1TN

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: IN
Operating Time (hrs): 14

  160:    0     0
   80:   20    18
   40:   29    25
   20:  110    54
   15:  165    56
   10:   47    30
-------------------
Total:  371   183  Total Score = 203,679

Club:

Comments:

100 watts/Slinky class.

Thanks as always to the guys who put various islands on the air. What would this
contest have been without them?

Masochism award goes to VP9/W6PH, who sent his call sign after every contact.
Second place goes to HA80IARU, on general principles.

It's fun trying to figure out what's going on with propagation when you don't
have a beam. The 160 boys don't seem to have an exclusive on "spotlight
propagation" --  I was happy to hear a few Europeans pop out of the 10 Meter
noise on Sunday (CT, F, EA. On Saturday morning, were the Europeans on 20 Meters
coming in both long and short path? It's been more than 30 years since I've
operated from the Midwest and can't remember if this is possible. Congrats to
JA8RWU, my only JA on any band (20). And to KL7WV, who came right back to me on
80.

The best I ever did in this contest, Stateside, was in 1977, when it was two
full weekends. I had 16 multipliers on 10 Meters, and that was with a KW and
6-element monobander, from Connecticut. We may all be a little older now, but we
are better!

With only a low wire antenna I can work nearly everything I can hear. So 14
hours is about all it's worthwhile to operate. As always, I did not call CQ
once. Just a lot of knob twirling.  -- Jim Cain, K1TN