[3830] ARRLDX CW N1UR SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, sawyered@earthlink.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW N1UR SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 09:51:08 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N1UR
Operator(s): N1UR
Station: N1UR

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: VT
Operating Time (hrs): 42
Radios: SO2R

  160:   45    33
   80:  140    47
   40:  406    74
   20:  716    79
   15:  835    77
   10:   62    37
-------------------
Total: 2204   347  Total Score = 2,289,159

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

This was my first ARRL DX from the new QTH so I didn?t really have many specific
expectations of this contest.  Goals: work 15 and 20 hard.  Run on 40.  Jump on
anything  that moves on 10M.  I hoped to stay up for 45 hours but having been
sick all last week, I only made it for 42.  I had hoped to improve my 80M
antenna before the contest but had run out of time.  So I was using the inverted
vee at 65 ft for the whole thing.  I worked most everything I heard but it
doesn?t hear that well and I couldn?t run with it.  My 160 antenna is no better,
so I was actually surprised to work 45 Qs and 33 Mults on top band.  Conditions
must have been excellent, as others have reported.

40M initially was a struggle to keep good rate going.  The second day made up
for it.  On Friday night, it sounded, for a while like the MUF may have dropped
below 7Mhz for a time and 80 was the place to be.  20M was really nice,
especially late at night.  I found a nice opening into Asia at 08Z on the first
evening, worked one JA and found no one else on.  CQ?d for 15 mins with no
answer.  I?m sure it was open, there was just not any activity.  EU opened very
nicely both nights around 0830Z here.

15 was fantastic into EU.  Some of the best that I have ever heard. Set a new
High QSO count on any band from here at 835! JA was not on for long either Sat
or Sun night but provided some Qs.  I worked no other Asia on 15 except JA and
UA0.

10M was like a temptress all weekend.  I heard CU2, CT1, EA come through loud
around 13Z on Sat, worked them first call.  Then a 9A and I0.  I thought, all
right, maybe there is a chance?.Called CQ for 15 mins and actually had 4 people
call (all new mults), and that was it other than the usual Carib and SA for
Saturday.  Kind of the same thing Sunday morning but I just S & P?d.  Nice 5H3,
EA9, ZS1 mults but nothing else exotic.  I did hear S9SS on 10, ESP, be could
not work him (got him on 15 and 20 though).  I was enjoying a very nice 20M run
on 14003 (120 for 2 hours) Sunday between around 16 ? 18 Z when I thought I
would see if any more SA was coming through on 10.  WOW was I surprised when the
first signal I heard was from OH6, I thought @#&!@& I should have kept tuning 10
(I had been surgically S & Ping 15 for the 2 hours on radio 2).  I was able to
work 6 new mults before it died.  It sounds like W1MU caught that opening some
time before me and may have very well won the contest as a result (nice job
Mike).

I too have not mastered the long path openings yet.  I feel like I did well this
time on 20 but there was no one there at the time.  I scanned both times on 40M
LP in the afternoon (despite working JA at that time twice during the week) and
heard not a peep LP into Asia.

Did anyone else have an HZ1 call them?  I asked 3 times for a repeat and that?s
what he gave.  Other nice call ins: HS0, 4K, A45, OY (on 10M!!), CU2.  Pacific
was almost non-existent: worked VK (1 band), ZL (2 bands), and of course KH7X
(even on 160! Just missed him on 10M, nice job OM).

It was a lot of fun, despite coming off of being sick.  I am still learning how
to operate this new station I have built.  Kind of like not being sure how fast
to take a new race car into the corner.  The station is more capable that the Op
right now (hi!).  Looking forward to ARRL phone.

Ed

Station:

FT1000MP and FT990, DXdoubler, Six Pack, Dunestars, Trlog

70 foot tower

160 inv vee @ 60ft
80 inv vee @ 65ft
40 2 el @ 80ft
20 4/4 at 71 and 35 ft (fixed EU)
15 3/8 at 75 and 30 ft (fixed EU). 2 el South
10 3 el beams at 50 ft (West), 40 ft (south), 25 feet (EU)