[3830] ARRLDX CW TI5N(W8QZA) SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, "wparker@"@san.rr.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW TI5N(W8QZA) SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 13:24:01 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: TI5N
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: TI5KD

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: Costa Rica
Operating Time (hrs): 46

  160:    5     5
   80:  234    48
   40:  587    52
   20:  665    52
   15:  741    55
   10:  581    49
-------------------
Total: 2813   261  Total Score = 2,202,579

Club:

Comments:

Rig: TS 940S with output power set at 5 Watts

Antennas:

10-15-20 M Quad with 4 el on 10 and 3 on 15 and 20, up 80 feet.

40 M 2 el Quad aimed north.

80 M Loop with apex at 90 feet.

160 M inverted V with apex at 100 feet.
This was an amazing contest. I am an exclusively QRP operator, and I have never
experienced such pileups. I apologize to everyone for my relative lack of skill
in CW pileups, but I did eventually work every pile down to the last caller.

My thanks to Keko (TI5KD) for his fine station, and for doing a repair on his
workhorse 15 M quad to get the SWR back in range about 20 minutes before the
start of the contest.  My thanks to his wife, Sophie, for the wonderful meals
served at the rig.  Thanks to my long time friend Phil, N0KE, for all his
suggestions on operating strategy.

I only slept 1 hour during the entire contest. As a result, I found that at 65
years old, my CW sending ability degraded tremendously in the last several hours
of the contest. I made many errors on the simplest text whenever I had to use
the Bencher. I was VERY glad to have the computer macros.

I have never scored anything like this in a CW contest, my previous high being
less than half this number of Qs.

Thank to all who called for your tremendous patience.

Bill Parker  W8QZA