[3830] ARRLDX CW VT2TT(K6LA) SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, widelitz@gte.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW VT2TT(K6LA) SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 14:02:47 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: VT2TT
Operator(s): K6LA
Station: VT2TT

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: PEI
Operating Time (hrs): 36.5
Radios: SO2R

  160:   36    27
   80:   99    40
   40:  342    69
   20:  661    78
   15:  598    76
   10:   59    38
-------------------
Total: 1795   328  Total Score = 1,766,280

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

Murphy just didnt' visit, he moved in. He was like a fish, after 3 days, he
stunk, but so did I, read on.

I arrived 1AM on Thursday morning to find no running water at the PEI DX Lodge.
The caretaker had turned off the water after CQWW CW so I wouldn't have to deal
with frozen pipes. He opened the valves Wednesday, but no water. Turns out the
well ran dry. A new well is going in this week. But I had to spend a lot of time
melting snow to flush the toilets. Never had a shower. Glad this was a single
op:)

I had a problem on every band with antennas.

160m - The dipole came down. The 2 element array had a VERY high SWR

80m - one element of the 4 square was down and although it was the NW element,
it really affected how the rest of the antenna played

40m - This was the KILLER. The rotator on the full size 3 element yagi had broke
last fall, but at least the antenna was tied off to EU. However, something was
wrong as the low dipole was louder into EU and after 4 hours something happened
and it appeared like there was no antenna at the end of the coax.

20m - The top antenna would only rotate in one direction so it was left on EU.
The middle antenna is loose and won't rotate.

15m - One rotator indicator is off by 60 degrees (no biggie) but the top 6
element yagi is still awaiting assembly on the ground.

10m - The 10m yagi rotator wouldn't turn. The antenna was fixed on AF.

The SA tribander had a bad balun and it was fixed. The only positive on the
antenna side.

These antenna problems really left me crippled. It really hurt on mults on 20 &
10. I heard plenty of stations on 80 & 160 that couldn't hear me. Very
frustrating.

I also heard the Southern US running EU on 10 and I couldn't hear the EU.

I used a PRO III for the 1st time. It is a better radio than the PRO II, but I
still had more filter blowby than I would like.

After calling and calling new mults on 160m & 80m and after 25 straight hours in
the chair, I semi threw in the towel and only operated about 11 more hours,
mostly during the day on Sunday so as to run EU on 20 & 15. 10m wasn't as good
Sunday for me as on Saturday, and I got to 10 later than I should have on
Saturday. The best opening for me was EU on 20 m from 0700 on Saturday early
morning.

Now I'm wondering what I can get fixed before ARRL DX Phone...

73, Ken, K6LA / VY2TT