[3830] ARRLDX CW VP9/W6PH SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w6ph@aol.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW VP9/W6PH SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 07:19:25 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: VP9/W6PH
Operator(s): W6PH
Station: VP9/W6PH

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Bermuda
Operating Time (hrs): 39

  160:  335    49
   80:  414    51
   40:  733    57
   20: 1322    59
   15: 1114    58
   10:  242    48
-------------------
Total: 4160   322  Total Score = 4,018,560

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Rig:  TS-940S  CT9
Antennas:   160/80M Inverted L (50ft vertical, 7ft horizontal)
            40M Dipole at 15ft    20-10M A4S at 20ft

This my fifth year of operations at VP9GE and the best conditions so far.  As
the sunspots decline and European signals disappear, my signals become more
prominent.  I had three hours over 180 and averaged 107 Q/hr.  I was most of the
week before the contest and almost blew off this operation.  My cold broke on
Thursday afternoon and I decided to make a go of it.  I got to the station about
four hours before the contest started and made some antenna repairs.  Started
the contest after being up for 16 hours with 4 hours of sleep on Thursday night.
 It is amazing how the contest "rush" keeps you going even when you are tired.
Everything worked well, no excuses.

Some observations:  NK7U had the most consistent signal from the west, W5KFT had
the most consistent signal from the central US.  NA2U and KQ2M were the best
tailenders in the contest.  I had a total of 3 stations in the 10M log on
Saturday all <S1 signals.  Then on Sunday, the band opened sporadically to all
parts of the US, especially to the northeast around 9 am EST.  But never really
got any runs going on 10M other than the initial northeast opening.

My best score so far due to antenna upgrades and good conditions.  Contesting
has to be the most incurable disease.  Is there a 12 step program?  Nah.