[3830] ARRLDX CW N4KG SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, N4KG@AOL.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW N4KG SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 06:57:31 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N4KG
Operator(s): N4KG
Station: N4KG

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: ALA
Operating Time (hrs): 36

  160:   29    24
   80:  116    49
   40:  187    64
   20:  276    72
   15:  381    72
   10:   66    32
-------------------
Total: 1055   313  Total Score = 998,313

Club: NADXC

Comments:

ARRL CW DX Contest 2005 N4KG SOAB LP (100W)

With declining 10M propagation to Europe and Asia, I decided to abandon QRP and
move up to the 100W level to have more fun on the lower bands.  I was not
disappointed.  Conditions were OUTSTANDING from 160 through 15 Meters and there
was even a brief 10M opening to Europe on Sunday.  Low band (40 and 80M) signals
from Europe were so strong that they were often thought to be domestic in
origin.

Unfortunately, activity levels seemed down as evidenced by little of the usual
crowding with only minimal representation from Africa, Asia, and Oceania, at
least for those of us who spent most of our time in the Search and Pounce mode.
Surprisingly, I was able to hold run frequencies at 14037 and 21021(?) on Sunday
morning which kept things interesting after finding little ?fresh meat? while
tuning the bands.  Obviously more CQing is necessary in the LP class.  Several
breaks were taken to walk the new 50 lb 12 mo. PUPPY!

It was FUN collecting multi-band contacts with the serious participants as
follows:

6 Band QSO?s with 17 stations:

CU2M      FM5BH     HI3TEJ    J6R       PJ5NA     TI3M
V26G      V31DJ     V31TJ     V47Z      VP5Y      ZF2TJ
8P5A      P49Y      PJ2T      PJ4R      9Y4W

5 Band QSO?s with 14 stations:

DL1IAO    DL3YM     EA5FV     F5VHY     G4BUO     IR4M
J88DR     PJ7/ND4S  VP5/WJ2O  VP9/W6PH  WP2Z      XE1NTT/2
PS2T      KH7X

4 Band QSO?s with 28 stations:

DL1MGB    F6HKA     F6KVM     G6PZ      HA3A      HA80IARU
HG3M      HG6N      IR2A      IR2C      IR4M      IR4X
OK1RF     OL3Z      OL7R      OM5M      OM7M      RD3A
RU1A      YR7M      YT7A      9A7A      TI5N      XE1MM
HK1AR     LR2F      EA8/DJ1OJ

HIGHLIGHTS by BAND were as follows:

160M:  STRONG signals from the Caribbean and S.A. plus several Europeans easily
copied without Beverages.  Best DX: UA6LV/6

80M:     Very good signals from Europe, even in the early evening (01Z to 05Z).
Opening extended to UA3 and UR at lower signal levels.

40M:  Incredibly STRONG signals from Europe both nights, unfortunately very few
?new? stations were found doing S&P Saturday night. ?Ya gotta CQ to get
results?!

20M:  VERY STRONG signals from Europe most of the day.  It looks like I missed
the ?early show? just after EU Sunrise (08-11Z).  ZZZZZ...

15M:  VERY STRONG signals from Europe both mornings with a good run Sunday (only
did S&P Saturday).  The opening to JA was weaker and shorter than usual.

10M:  Nice opening to Western Europe Sunday from 16Z to 18Z. Big guns were able
to attract some Eastern Europeans by CQing but none found during S&P from ALA.

N4KG STATION ? ONE RADIO: FT990 at 100W.

160M Inverted L with apex at 85 ft and 50 radials

80M     Dipole NE/SW between 130 ft towers.
        Inverted Vee JA/SA apex at 140 ft.

40M     CC 2L40 at 95 ft
        Dipole JA/SA at 90 ft.

20M     Telrex 2L*20 at 75 ft. (*director broke off)
        TH7 at 40 ft

15M     CC 4L15 at 55 ft.
        TH7 at 40 ft.

10M     5L10 at 62 ft.