[3830] ARRLDX CW N1IW SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n1iw@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW N1IW SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 17:58:01 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N1IW
Operator(s): N1IW
Station: N1IW

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Derry, NH
Operating Time (hrs): 35

  160:   44    25
   80:  246    53
   40:  388    71
   20:  794    78
   15:  547    74
   10:   42    28
-------------------
Total: 2061   329  Total Score = 2,032,233

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Well, what can I say. This is my first serious single op effort ever. Have done
casual single op efforts from home, and have op'd in M/M class from K1TTT and
K0TV before, but this experience was totally different. Just recently completed
some MAJOR station upgrades like a 3 ele SteppIR at 90 feet, 2 ele on 40M at 100
feet, and a solid state "no tune" kilowatt. So I was prepared for a full out
effort. I set a goal of turning in my first million point effort not really
understanding the Qs and multipliers required to do so. Also decided to run
unassisted, so no distractions of chasing spots in a band map. Run, sweep, run,
sweep, you get the picture.

The bands were great, the antennas, rig, and N1MM played flawlessly. What a
blast! Lots of fun and interesting vignettes in the 35 hour effort I turned in.
Probably the most memorable were blasting thru the 1000 Q and million point
milestones, observing the rate meter exceed 250 (short term of course) during a
run on 20M, HZ1EX calling me on 40M (first Q after finding a new run frequency),
and working some exotic mults (FK, VR, KH2, HP, HL) while running JAs on
Saturday evening on 20M. I love running JAs, they are great ops, and the KW
stations were LOUD here. Probably hurt my score though cuz I should have been on
40 at that time, but too bad!

One of the tuff decisions in SO unassisted (single radio), is knowing when to
run and when to sweep for mults. I tried the best I could to achieve the proper
balance, but I will need to work on this strategy. I also had a terrible S9+10dB
noise problem on 10M Sunday morning that dinged me too.

Anyway, thanks to all that worked me and see you in the pile ups!