[3830] CQ160 SSB AA4LR Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, aa4lr@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQ160 SSB AA4LR Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 05:30:43 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB

Call: AA4LR
Operator(s): AA4LR
Station: AA4LR

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 2

Total:  QSOs = 31  State/Prov = 13  Countries = 0  Total Score = 962

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

Equipment:
Kenwood TS-430S, AT-250 tuner
125 foot doublet at 10m

Comments:
With my back still giving me fits, was only able to get on for less than 2
hours, each time just before sunset on Saturday and Sunday, to had out a few
QSOs.

I was amazed at the number of signals on the air -- many of which were quite
strong. Also surprised at the large number of stations who were S9+20dB or more
who couldn't hear me call. So much for reciprocity. While I definitely need to
do something about my antenna situation for 160m, I also got the sense that many
stations are deaf.

VP5B was S9+20 dB at 2335z Saturday on 1883 kHz. I called him for 15 minutes. At
one point, he came back to N4LR (and no, Gordon wasn't on frequency), but when I
tried to correct the call, he couldn't pick it up. Honestly, I've had this
callsign for 20 years now -- you'd think people would be used to "AA" calls by
now.