[3830] ARRLDX SSB AA4LR SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, aa4lr@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB AA4LR SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 18:34:43 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: AA4LR
Operator(s): AA4LR
Station: AA4LR

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 8.5

  160:    0     0
   80:    9     7
   40:    2     2
   20:  108    60
   15:  128    61
   10:   63    24
-------------------
Total:  310   154  Total Score = 143,220

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

Equipment:
K2/100 w/ KAT100 tuner

Antennas:
A3S at 15m (10m/15m/20m)
125 doublet at 10m (40m)
Shunt-fed 15m tower (80m)

Comments:

This was a part-time, operate a few minutes here and there effort. My back is
still healing, so I couldn't sit for more than an hour and a half or so before I
had to get up.

Conditions were really good on Saturday. 20m and 15m well open to Europe, and
20m opened briefly to JA as well. 10m didn't open to Europe, but there was a
great Trans-equatorial opening to south and central america both days.

Bands sounded really odd Sunday. 15m didn't seem to be doing well to Europe. 40m
was a complete waste of time here. My 40m sloper failed about two months ago,
and the 80m dipole doesn't work well.

80m was great. The shunt-fed tower works really well, although with 100 watts
I'm not blasting into pileups. I really have to hand it to 4N1A. I called him
and he got "AA4" but couldn't get "LR". He egged me on for nearly 4 minutes
until we completed the QSO. Thanks.

Not everything was so great. Heard ZF2NT in a huge pileup on 20m around 2200z
Sunday. Bruce was working them the best he could but the pileup got unruly. At
2220z, he gave up - "this is no longer fun, I'm QRT." Good for him.

Had a LOT of trouble with stations, especially Europeans, saying "Papa Alpha
station - North America only please." Uh, guys, I've only had this call for 20
years. It's about time you knew that Alpha Alpha is a US prefix. I suppose the
proliferation of vanity calls has made the AA prefix somewhat rare these days.

instituted a policy of calling immediately everyone who merely said QRZ? without
signing. Not my fault if this is a dupe. Did have a few stand-offs of the
form:

DX: QRZ?
ME: AA4LR
DX: AA4LR 59 Kilowatt
ME: What's your call?
DX: AA4LR I need your state
ME: I need your call
DX: AA4LR your state your state?
ME: Your callsign please

Eventually, we managed to sort it out....