[3830] ARRLDX SSB VO1MP SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, GUSSAM@NL.ROGERS.COM
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB VO1MP SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 10:40:28 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: VO1MP
Operator(s): VO1MP
Station: VO1MP

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: NL
Operating Time (hrs): 33

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total: 2128   312  Total Score = 1,991,808

Club:

Comments:

ARRL INTERNATIONAL DX CONTEST -- 2005

      Call:      VO1MP
      Category:  Single Operator
      Power:     High Power
      Band:      All Band
      Mode:      SSB
      Section:   NF

      BAND     QSO    QSO PTS PTS/Q COUNTRIES

      160       30       90   3.0       15
       80      216      648   3.0       53
       40      458     1374   3.0       66
       20      865     2595   3.0       81
       15      541     1623   3.0       89
       10       18       54   3.0        8
     --------------------------------------

     Totals   2128     6384   3.0      312  =   1,991,808

All reports sent were 59, unless otherwise noted.

Equipment Description:
Set-Up 1 = FT-1000MP Field & Alpha 87a
Set-Up 2 = FT-1000MP Field & Alpha 78

Tower 1 = 40/80  meter  wires
Tower 2 = 160 Meter Dipole & 20 Meter Delta Loop
Tower 3 = 5 element HB owa VO1MP
Tower 4 = 5 element HB owa VO1MP

Club affiliation: East Coast Canada Contest Club

Soap Box:
CT sez' about 25.5 hours of operating but it was more like 33 hours
in the chair.

Ice storm in January completely destroyed all my wire antennas and
all my beams required  repairs ...... winter wx  here is generally
not  conducive to antenna repairs that require extensive climbing,
consequently the X7  which is my second 10/15 meter antenna and primary
20 meter antenna remains untouched  so I fashionned a Delta Loop for
20 meters to enable me to operate on that band, needless to say I was
kind of hamstrung by not being able to rotate this antenna,
but seemingly the loop gave me a little gain into Europe the main source of
of Mults for this contest.

Conditions were not bad on Saturday and was optimistic that we might even
have a ten meter opening ,  but  the propagation  Gods  deemed other wise
and Sunday 15 was poor at best from here...... Saturday saw some
HS and YB stns call in here on 15  which is good DX for this part of
the Cycle.
After many requests for 160 meters by a load of operators , on Sunday I
took an hour of operating time to climb the  bigger tower and
repair my 160 meter antenna that had blown down a few days ago.I had to
trudge through Saturday's freshly fallen snow which had drifted to about
four feet high in places in back of my property
This process did allow me to get on that band for the last hour and paid off
with 15 mults that I would not have worked otherwise... so it was kind of
win/win .
SO2R is not yet finalized here ( got to get a 'round-to-it ! ) but at least am
enjoying the ability to switch antennas  during Multiplier qsy's
during the contest.... this new kit will undoubtedly help when it is all
finally set up.
I had look at the rate prog in CT and here are some of the stats it generated:

The best 60 minute rate was 202/hour from 1728 to 1827
The best 30 minute rate was 210/hour from 1726 to 1755
The best 10 minute rate was 240/hour from 1005 to 1014

The best 1 minute rates were:
 6 QSO's/minute    8 times.
 5 QSO's/minute   29 times.
 4 QSO's/minute   98 times.
 3 QSO's/minute  180 times.

There were 86 bandchanges and 17 probable 2nd radio QSO's.

Multi-band QSO's
----------------
1 bands    1381
2 bands     227
3 bands      57
4 bands      24
5 bands       4
6 bands       1

The following stations were worked on 6 bands:

V47KP

BTW  for all you dxpedition operators..... you can still work up to 5 or 6 qsos
per minute
while giving your call every time ..... or is not giving your call after every Q
 an inherently
 effective method to keep the pile up manageable ?  Not  sure !!

always nice to meet a lot of regulars in this contest , which is undoubtedly
my favourite... seemed like there was a fair amount of activity from VO1 for
this test.... did hear Ian -  VO1BC ......Wayne - VO1TA  who relocated In
January to the West Side of NL and does not have Antennas up  yet ... Paul -
VO1HE ..... here in St. John's .... and Dan VO1MX operating at VO1AU's.....
on Thursday VO1HE,VO1AU,VO1VZ & VO1MP   Spent all of The afternoon
resurrecting Dave's second  tower which had capsized in a recent windstorm
although I do not think he was able to effect all repairs prior to 'test time.
Congrats to Dan VO1MX who operated from Dave's and managed a nice score,
considering conditions.

Anyway  hope to get everything operational before WPX and
C'y'all  then
GLWCDR ......
Gus  VO1MP