[3830] Commonwealth VO1RAC(VO1HE) Headquarters LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vo1he@rac.ca
Subject: [3830] Commonwealth VO1RAC(VO1HE) Headquarters LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 07:56:01 -0800
                    RSGB Commonwealth Contest, CW

Call: VO1RAC
Operator(s): VO1HE
Station: VO1HE

Class: Headquarters LP
QTH: Newfoundland
Operating Time (hrs): 12

------------
   80:   15
   40:   65
   20:  105
   15:   29
   10:    1
------------
Total:  215  Total Score = 2,345

Club: East Coast Canada Contest Club

Comments:

First time in this contest. Figured I'd get a HQ station on the air as well. As
it was a CW contest, I usually run them as S&P as my CW is not what it should be
for getting involved with pileups HI. I figured this was a good time to get
trial by fire. Unfortunately, conditions were not great so many of the stations
were quite hard to hear. I'd get the call OK most times but the report would get
lost in the static crashes and QSB. Such is life.

Heard a few VKs early on but couldn't work them. Heard some ZLs later in the day
but never got them either. Will have to do some work on the station this spring
and see if I can work out the bugs.

I was a little disappointed that I didn't hear many other HQ stations on the
air. Maybe next year.

Using EI5DI's Super Duper Commonwealth Contest program and it worked great once
I figured it out. The FT-920 worked great as did the antennae. 10 never opened
at all but I had nice runs on 20 and 40. At about the 14 hour mark, I found that
I'd worked all of what I could hear so I packed it in then.

Thanks to all who called me and sorry to those I couldn't hear. CU all again in
the next one.

73 -- Paul VO1HE