[3830] WPX SSB LZ9W M/M HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB LZ9W M/M HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 08:24:33 -0800
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: LZ9W
Operator(s): LZ9W
Station: LZ9W

Class: M/M HP
QTH: nr SOFIA
Operating Time (hrs): 48

------------
  160:  426
   80:  889
   40: 1580
   20: 2360
   15: 1300
   10:  290
------------

Club:

Comments:

On 22nd of March in the afternoon thanks to joint efforts of LZ1HD,LZ1ZD and
LZ3UM the new LZ9W monoband PA on 80m "fired" on the air for the first time :-).
The group continued hard work and on Friday late afternoon the monoband 160m PA
was also ready for the RACE :-)).
LZ5VK and LZ3UM took care  to get all antennas rotating and showing the correct
direction :-)).
Thursday from 9.00 to 17.00 we errecetd the portable 4 square for 80m with 24
radials for each of the verticals.
Everything was going so smoothly and as planned that Krassy LZ1ZD got scared
about it :-)).
And Murphy was not late - around 16.00 LZ2HM was checking the 6 el yagi on 20m
and suddenly SWR went to 5 ! Pulling the coax got the SWR to be back to normal
and to go sky high again. A tough decision has to be made since the dark comes
at 19.00 local time. Finally we decided to get antenna down and to repair it
since without this on 20m there was not be a contest at all. Only LZ3UM knows
what costed him endless climbing and getting down from the 20m tower.
Finally Asen LZ3UM and other guys got repaired monobander on the tower in the
dark at 20.00 LZT in full darkness.
>From this turning point on to the end of the contest beside small PC crahses
there were no big technical problems.
We experienced again the  well known problem with the serial numbers with
CT/K1EA, but as far as we been told same happens with WL too.
There was a short power cut for about 15 min few hours after strat of the
contest,but this was fortunately short enough to have no deleterious effect on
the final score.

Finally building up the LZ9W M/M contest station started paying off - in spite
of very poor condx on Saturday we made 1 700 QSOs more than last year and about
120 more multipliers. Final score is almost 8 000 000 pts bigger than our last
year score (2nd place EU).

Few more antennas are to be added and two more monoband power amps by the end of
2005.

THANKS to all who called us ! See you in WPX CW 2005 !

73 from LZ CONTEST TEAM
Wally LZ2CJ on behalf of all LZ9W M/M Contest Team members

Equipment

160m Run - IC746 - LZ9W Monoband PA ( LZ1HD/ALPIN Co. design on two GU74b)
           Inverted Vee
80m Run -  TS850S - LZ9W monoband PA ( LZ1HD/ALPIN Co. design on two GU74b)
           4 SQUARE / Dipole
40m Run - FT 1000MP Mark V Field - Chopper Home Made Amp - HB9CV / Dipole
20m Run - FT1000MP - LZ9W Monoband PA (LZ1HD /ALPIN Co. design on two GU74b)
          6 el WA3FET yagi / Dipole
15m Run - IC746 - ACOM 2000A - 6 el WA3FET yagi / Single Delta Loop
          (same stn used as mult stn on 80m with 2 phased Inv Vees )
10m Run - IC746 - Alpha 91b - 7 el WA3FET yagi

Mult Stns
Place 1 - FT1000MP - ACOM 1000 - KT34A / Dipole 20m
Place 2 - TS850S - TL922 - X7 / Dipole 40m

Operators who did an outstanding job :-))
160m - LZ2UZ
80m  - LZ1UQ, LZ2CJ, (part time LZ1FG)
40m  - LZ2HM, LZ2UU
20m  - LZ2PO, LZ3FN
15m  - LZ1ANA, LZ1ZD,LZ3UM
10m  - LZ2HQ, (part time LZ2HM and LZ1UQ )

Mult stns - LZ5VK, LZ1PJ,LZ4UU

Special THANKS to LZ1PM and LZ2FV who came just to help with antennas and
operating places installation !!!!

THANKS to LZ5VK and LZ1ANA for the PC network and cluster !

BIIIG THANKS to LZ1HD,LZ3UM and LZ1ZD for finishing new PAs on 80 and 160m on
time for the contest :-))) !!!