[3830] ARRLDX SSB P40A(KK9A) SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, p40a@iguanavilla.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB P40A(KK9A) SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 13:22:04 -0700
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: P40A
Operator(s): KK9A
Station: P40A

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Aruba
Operating Time (hrs): 42
Radios: SO2R

  160:  113    38
   80:  247    52
   40:  500    56
   20: 1990    60
   15: 2041    59
   10:  875    47
-------------------
Total: 5766   312  Total Score = 5,396,976

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

I arrived in Aruba five days before the ARRL DX Phone contest. After making a
few emergency home repairs I was able to finally install the freestanding 160m
vertical that I started in October.  I also temporarily installed a pennant for
receive and I had a fantastic time on top band before the contest.   I had a
very nice pre-contest dinner with W2GD / P40W where we discussed the strategy
for this event.  Unfortunately shortly before the contest, I caught a virus and
I had less energy than normal.   At this point, I considered doing a single band
entry where I could get more rest, but I decided against it as doing all band
would be more fun and I already had all of the antennas up and running.  The
contest started well and after the first hour I had 299 stations in my log.  The
second hour produced 239 QSO's, after that the rates really tumbled for the
night. I didn't see another 200 hour until late Saturday afternoon.   Saturday
morning, 15m was in good shape but the only signals that I heard on 10m were
from south America.  I kept one radio on 10m while running on 15m waiting for an
opening.  Finally late Saturday afternoon it opened a little to the US and I
worked 153 stations before the band died.  Saturday night I started felling
really tired and with the low bands noisy and producing very few contacts for me
I took a long five hour nap.  I awoke feeling refreshed, except for a throat
infection that suddenly appeared.   On Sunday morning 15m and 20m were still
going strong and again I kept an ear on 10m hoping for an opening.  Finally
Sunday afternoon I heard a few strong US signals on 10m.   I switched bands and
I instantly had a huge pileup.  10m was in good shape and not knowing how long
the opening would last I started logging stations as quickly as possible.
During one 60 minute period I worked 344 stations, not bad for low power on a
Sunday afternoon!  In less than three hours the 10m signals were weak again so I
retreated back to 15m where the rates were much better, knowing that I just
missed many needed multipliers.   The throat infection worsened after the
contest and several days later I visited the Aruba hospital for some
antibiotics.  I felt great when my wife arrived the following weekend.  The
contest was a lot of fun and the late 10m opening really added to the
excitement.  There is a new picture of my home and antennas on
http://www.qrz.com/p40a .   Thanks for the many QSO's and a special thanks to
the 44 stations that worked me on all six bands.   Please QSL via WD9DZV.

Radio:  (2X) Yaesu FT1000MP Mark-V
Software: Writelog

Antennas:
10m   4el  18ft (5.5m) boom  @  40ft (12m)