[3830] FlQP N8II SOABCW LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] FlQP N8II SOABCW LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 15:45:59 -0700
                    Florida QSO Party

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: SOABCW LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

   40:   25
   20:  130
   15:    1
   10:    0
--------------------
Total:  156     0  CW Mults = 55  Ph Mults = 0  Total Score = 34,320

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

My effort can best be described as "a series of unfortunate events" none
 of which had to do with equipment or antenna problems. Conditions were
 really terrible Saturday. On top of that, I was in the midst of tearing
 down a no longer used play gym that was built like a battleship and my
 daughter had a soccer game at 1915Z. When I returned about 2045Z the
 northern half of Florida was skipping over here already and I knew the
 final nail had been put in the coffin. N FL stations started peaking
 almost due West on backscatter around 23Z, but the mobiles of course
 could not hear me and in most cases I could not hear them. I quit at
 0025Z having tried CQ's on 40 and working out all the home stations down
 there. The band was wide open to FL, but the "big gun" mobiles just
 weren't showing up. All day Saturday, I was getting beaten out by many
 stations farther away from FL especially in the mobile pile-ups.
   Sunday conditions improved somewhat; by 14Z when I started 20M was
 opening up and by 1430Z was good to N FL. However 15 never opened; I
 managed 1 backscatter QSO with WK2G/4 hearing a couple of others who
 couln't hear me. During the day I did pretty well breaking the pile-ups,
 but by 20Z the skip zone was back to north FL and the pile-ups on the
 mobiles which were the only ones left to work were as big as a rare DX
 station. W4OV/M in "rare" DAD was peaking S9+10 db and it took me 5
 minutes to break the pile-up, not my idea of fun and a bit too much of
 a challenge. Pulling weeds was more mentally rewarding than the FQP.
 See you again in the next solar cycle, til then ??