[3830] NewEngQP N1DC Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, N1DC@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] NewEngQP N1DC Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 05:53:46 -0700
                    New England QSO Party

Call: N1DC
Operator(s): N1DC
Station: N1DC

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Braintree, MA
Operating Time (hrs): 12

   80:     58
   40:    102
   20:    167       10
   15:      0
   10:      0
------------------------
Total:    327       10  Mults = 61  Total Score = 40,504

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

I had another great time this year. I expected to far exceed lasrt year's totals
and was way ahead in the first 2 hours. I had about 100 Q's in the first 90
minutes on 20M. Family activities Saturday night forced me to QRT for several
hours. This would turn out to be a giant mistake later.

Saturday
Biggest thrill was having ZL/NB1B answer my CQ on 20M. Thanks Dennis! I worked
many EU stations off the back of my beam before switching to 40 and later 80M. I
ended Saturday with about 175 Q's in the log. Conditions were good here in
eastern MA.

Sunday
I planned to "run" on 15M and bump up the multiplier and QSO counts. I checked
for WWV on 20 MHz. Where was WWV ?  There was nothing but a hiss across the
entire 15M band. In fact there was nothing audible above 19 MHz on my receiver.
I checked for WWV at 15MHz...it was only S2. Very weak and unusual which was a
sure sign of big propgation trouble. A quick check on 40 and 80 proved they were
not in good shape either with a lot of QRN.

I decided to go back on 20M and start calling CQ. All day it was an up hill
fight to get anything going. I bounced around between 15, 20, 40 and 80.
I really tried hard to get some local contacts on 15M ground wave but never
heard anyone and got no reponse to 15-20 minutes of CQ's.

Conditions in general were lousy all day for anything beyond 1,000 miles. Some
stations from the southwest were barely audible. The day before the same areas
were S9 +20dB.

Late in the afternoon things started to very slowly improve. I couldn't get much
going on 20M looking mostly for multipiers and hoping for more DX and some
missing states including AK and HI. I switched to 40M for the last 90 minutes
and had a good run up to the end. The noise level dropped dramatically and the
band filled up with signals just in time for the end of the contest !!

It was a lot of fun and always a challenge regardless. I worked many of the same
stations on 20, 40 and 80M. Thanks to all that answered my CQ, especially the
many mobiles and DX stations. I'll be back again next year for sure !

73  Rick....Braintree, MA   Norfolk County