[3830] WPX CW VA7ST SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW VA7ST SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 16:38:29 -0700

Club:

Comments:

FT920 @ 100w
N1MM Logger v. 5.0.97
Tribander (CL33) @ 45'
Dual 40M delta loops
80M delta loop
160 Inverted-L (80v/50h)

Last year, we had just moved into the new QTH so I had only wires in the air.
More antennas has made quite a difference:

        QSOs   Mults   Total
2003     412    233    269,348 (Spider Beam @ 27')
2004     310    168    146,160 (Wires only)
2005     694    378    712,908 (CL33 and loops)

Conditions on 20M surprised me -- open to EU all night long Friday night. Found
a 15M opening to EU in the early hours of Saturday morning, which also caught me
by surprise. Don't hear much over the pole on 15 these days (but then I'm not
listening for signals at 2 a.m. very often).

Line noise still a big issue here, particularly on 20M. My guess is I could have
added another 200 or so Qs to the total without the noise (when I point at east
the noise wipes out everything but S8+ signals so I can't hear the weaker
stations calling).

D4B had an amazing signal in here both days. Think I worked Faroe Is. for the
first time. Not a lot of rare DX heard, and even less worked :)

Used a pair of 40M delta loops for the first time. Had a vertical Moxon
rectangle up for a few weeks, but it was disappointing in CW Sprint. However, it
may not be the antenna; it was probably the band's propensity for opening up
quite late here in BC.

I am learning that 40M is a dead loss at this QTH until at least an hour after
dark (10:30 p.m. or so), by which time the eastern stations have moved on or are
sawing logs. At dusk both nights I tried every one of my 40M antennas (G5RV,
vertical, delta loops) with rotten results. By 11 p.m., though, things were
working well for me and in the small hours of the morning it was great to work
JAs with one loop's feedline open, and U.S. ops when the other feedline was
open.

Very little on 80 and nothing heard on the 160 inv-L. Guess this contest doesn't
really offer much incentive to hunt on the low bands.

Sure enjoyed the weekend picking away at the totals. Hope the UBNs don't break
me, hi.