[3830] WPX CW N7ZG SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW N7ZG SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 16:55:02 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: N7ZG
Operator(s): N7ZG
Station: N7ZG

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: WWA
Operating Time (hrs): 34

------------
  160:
   80:    8
   40:   76
   20:  545
   15:  102
   10:
------------

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

First off, I had a blast!

Conditions for the first 24 hours were stellar from my QTH in
western Washington state.  I spent some time listening/operating
earlier in the week to check prop and saw that the A index was 2
on Thursday.  It seemed to me that 20 was open to EU for 24 hour
periods!  Maybe there is an upside to the low part of the cycle?
(normally high MUF during the summer might mean longer 20M openings).
If things are quiet I bet the IARU will be fun.

20 was the money band for me.  15 opened to EU marginally on Sat.
I5 plain sucked on Sun.

Most fun moment of the contest:
I came across a pileup for TU2CI.   I know I shouldn't do it but it
was a new one for me.  I listened for a little while and decided to
jump in.  I got him after about 3-4 calls!  I came across S9SS at
the end of the contest and got him in 2 calls.  I already have S9
confirmed (thanks to Martii OH2BH) but it was sweet all the same.
I had a nice JA run on 20 on Fri nite late into Sat morning
(local time).

I guess the 3 element Steppir was a good investment.

Worst moments:
There wasn't much to whine about.  I wish the CME hadn't hit on
Sunday.   Oh well, that's the way it goes.  At least I could work
domestic stations.  I was wishing for a JA run on 40 at six points
apiece.  That didn't happen.  Maybe my fault on the timing.  I dunno.

Operator improvements:
I've been spending 15-30 minutes a day with Alex's Morse Runner
program.  My copying speed is definately benefitting from this.
Also, I've been spending more time planning/preparing prior to the
contest (making sure the station is working properly, checking prop,
stategizing, shopping for junk food, etc.)

Station improvements:
The biggest change is the antennas.  I put up a 3 element Steppir.
I really don't have alot of experience with antennas, but this one
seems to live up to the hype.  I like WriteLog but after using N1MM
at Dink's place (N7WA), I made the switch for this contest.  I'm
glad I did.  I work in software development and really appreciate
the nice work the authors did on this one.  Also, I put up a single
quad loop for 40 (vertically polarized).  I played real well into
SA/CA.

73's
Guy, N7ZG