[3830] WPX CW KM9P(W4PA) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w4pa@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW KM9P(W4PA) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 05:49:05 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: KM9P
Operator(s): W4PA
Station: K4JNY

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: TN
Operating Time (hrs): 36

------------
  160:
   80:   21
   40:  790
   20: 1272
   15:  508
   10:   25
------------

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Comments:

Interesting reading the commentary about the great band conditions - I think I
wasn't operating the same contest :-) 15 meters never opened to EU strongly from
here through the whole contest -- my rates on Saturday morning to EU on 15 were
in the 70 range and they were pee-weak, hands over ears copy to pull out
callsigns and reports.  I see Randy is 700 Q's ahead of me, 500 of which were on
15...phenomenal job, OM.  Also an amazing score from NK7U/KL9A - wow!

Yup, antennas are working, the new 15m 6/6 stack was consistently 3 s-units
better than the reference Europe TH3 that Jeff and I have on a different tower
at 30'.  I probably switched it in 50 times just to make sure :-) :-)

About the callsign:  KM9P was Bill Fisher's (W4AN) original Extra class
callsign.  K4JNY and myself were both very influenced by Bill - we both operated
at his Dahlonega QTH (I did so for 6 different contests from 1999-2002), both
had done antenna work there and had many discussions over with him about station
design when we were in the big building phase at Jeff's in 2001-2002.  It was
after I used the Ten-Tec club call of KK4TT in the 2004 WPX CW that we hit on
the idea of claiming KM9P to be used for future WPX contests and as a tribute to
Bill.  Jeff already was club trustee of another callsign and it was just a
matter of sending in a callsign change form.  Bill had given it up for K4AAA in
2001 and it was in the general pool of available calls when Jeff got it for our
contest-club-within-a-club in July 2004.   We had intended to break it out for
the WPX SSB contest as a M/S entry, but unfortunately WPX SSB was on a holiday
weekend this year and it precluded the team from defending our 2004 M/S title
with the new call.

So, many years to come with KM9P on the air for future contests.

Congrats to all on a great job this weekend, some amazing scores so far...who
would have thought with no 10 meters heading for the sunspot lull that the USA
SOABHP record may be topped and that KL9A would cream most of the east coast
from Oregon !

73 Scott W4PA