[3830] WPX CW K3STX SO(A)AB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k3stx@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] WPX CW K3STX SO(A)AB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 06:12:44 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: K3STX
Operator(s): K3STX
Station: K3STX

Class: SO(A)AB LP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): 11

------------
  160:    0
   80:   14
   40:  173
   20:  226
   15:   33
   10:    0
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Conditions were not at all what I expected. I thought 20 M and up would be
horrible, but the majority of my contacts were on 20. I operated from 0200-0500
UTC on Sat. and 0100-0700 UTC on Sun. because of the holiday weekend/playing
with kids during sunlight. Made up an hour here and there throughout the
weekend. Having Europe open till the early morning here was GREAT, especially
since 80 M was so punky. I had hoped to work hard on 80 M for my DXCC and even
put 12 more radials on my vertical (now 16). But the band was very noisy, was
hard to hear many Europeans, and only new one on 80 M was KH6.  I wonder what it
would be like to work a contest during daylight hours?

But I got an all-time new one with ET3TK, so I had to stop contesting and go
into ?DX-mode? for about 30 min for that one. But it was worth it, I think most
of his calling ?contesters? gave him ?599 001? reports.

I had a great time, but did not manage a single run the whole time. Well, just
one, and the rate meter hit about 120/hr (for 10 min), when I looked up and saw
that I was "spotted" for that elusive K3 prefix. Wow, now THAT was some fun.

paul K3STX