[3830] WPX CW KN7NV(K7NV) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k7nv@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW KN7NV(K7NV) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 10:40:32 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: KN7NV
Operator(s): K7NV
Station: K5RC

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: The Comstock
Operating Time (hrs): 34
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:    0
   80:   39
   40:  413
   20:  960
   15:  448
   10:   29
------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Many thanks to Tom & Midge for letting me spend the weekend on top of the
Comstock Mother Lode! The BBQ steak dinner on Sat nite was well worth taking the
break from some prime time!

This was my first time to try to run the K5RC station in an extended contest
with SO2R & WriteLog. Station played great once I figured it out, but I still
don't get along with WL too well. Had lots of "Oh @#%$&'s navigating thru qso's
in and between the logging windows that made for some real excitement.

I glitch developed on the TS950 and had all sorts of fits with it wandering into
some weird wide filter mode (not displayed on the rig) all of the first night. I
had to reset the filters after every computer sent exchange to be able to hear
the guy I was working. Did a lot of manual sending that night. It did help keep
me focused ;-) The other rig (TS930) was fine the whole time.
Tom figured out what was wrong on Saturday and the thing was normal for the rest
of the contest. Apparently there was something going on between where the 950
was set and the switch settings on WX0B SO2R box that I partially disabled so I
could use my own 2R audio box. The problem didn't start until about 5 hours into
the contest, after Tom went to bed....Thanks Murphy!

Tried to sleep in late on Friday, but couldn't. Ended up having to take lots of
extra little breaks to try and shake off the fog. Was forced to lay down on the
floor and take some quality(?)naps. Guess this just gets tougher as the years
roll on ;-)

Surprising condx the first day, lot's of fun. 15m Friday night didn't sound all
that great here after dark, part of that may have been the drama with the 950.
The small late opening on 15 to EU on Saturday was welcome.
20m was a hoot the first night! Best EU action in several years.
Sunday was a bit like slugging it out on SS Sunday.

This is still a real fun contest with interesting strategy and good activity and
I had a blast trying it with more than my normal small low antennas. Best score
in the last 3 years.

Congrats to all with the fine scores, great job!

See you guys in the next ones.

73, Kurt