[3830] MidAtlQP K4AQ Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k4aq@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] MidAtlQP K4AQ Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 12:40:04 -0700
                    Mid-Atlantic QSO Party

Call: K4AQ
Operator(s): K4AQ
Station: K4AQ

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: WisVA (Norton, VA)
Operating Time (hrs): 5.8

  160:
   80:
   40:   30     13
   20:           1
   15:
   10:
    6:
    2:
  222:
  432:
--------------------
Total:   30     14  Mults = 45  Total Score = 3,780

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

http://www.qsl.net/maqso/rules.htm

Phone Contacts   :   14 * 1 pt  = 14 (excludes mobiles)
CW Contacts      :   20 * 2 pts = 40 (excludes mobiles)
Qs with a Mobile :   10 * 3 pts = 30
-------------------------------------
Contact Points   :                84
Multipliers      :                45
-------------------------------------
Claimed Score    :              3780

Multipliers Worked
------------------
KENDE ANAMD CARMD CRLMD CECMD FREMD GARMD HARMD MONMD PRGMD
WASMD BURNJ CUMNJ GLONJ MIDNJ OCNNJ SALNJ ERINY QUNNY SFKNY
ALLPA BERPA BUXPA CARPA DCOPA ERIPA JEFPA LEHPA UNIPA YORPA
CUMVA IOWVA PRGVA ROAVA KANWV MGLWV PRSWV  DE  GA  MD
NJ  NY  PA  VA  WV

Was working TDY for two weeks in Wise County, Virginia during the MidAtlQP.
Operated QRP mobile from the Holiday Inn in Norton, VA, parked parallel 10 feet
on the northside of a two-story hotel brick building, surrounded by hills and
mountains. Vehicle pointed ENE.

Sunspots UP (approx 100) but there were geomagnetic disturbances...dismal HF
condx...so S&P 100 pct.

Had intended to use a field antenna for my QRP mobile operations on 160m/80m so
did not enter as K4AQ/m. I was, however, very pleased with the Hustler mobile
antenna's performance, especially on QRP SSB so never bothered with a field
antenna.

Had several HEAVY thundershowers with GUSTY WINDS that passed through the area;
had to close the van's windows. Considerable QRN/QSB. The FT-897D's DNR (DSP
Noise Reduction) help minimize the QRN (static crashes).

I used a large AGM battery that was independent of the vehicle's charging
system. It had 75 pct capacity remaining when I put it on the AC battery charger
after using it continuously for 8.5 hrs (including break time).

To operate in the SSB bands, I used the SGC SG-211 MiniTuner (unbalanced mode).
It worked great and got the VSWR down to 1:1 on initial tuning everytime. (The
Hustler resonators are tuned for the CW bands.)

I did not operate on the second day because of poor band condx.

FT-897D transceiver operated at 5 watts into a Hustler mobile antenna system
(RM-20 & RM-40 resonators) mounted on a Diamond K-400 near the top of the left
rear door of a 15-psgr club wagon. Rig power provided by a stand-alone AGM
battery. Heil Pro-Set Plus headset. Tigertronics SignaLink SL-1 sound card radio
interface. microHAM USB rig interface. Dell Latitude laptop powered by a
300-watt inverter. WriteLog 10.53e.

--
Matt Lee, K4AQ
Atlanta, GA