[3830] RAC Day VE3VZ SOSB/2 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] RAC Day VE3VZ SOSB/2 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2005 18:25:44 -0700
                    RAC Canada Day Contest

Call: VE3VZ
Operator(s): VE3VZ
Station: VE3VZ

Class: SOSB/2 LP
QTH: Hamilton ONtario
Operating Time (hrs): 16

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
    6:
    2:   4      73       1         1
Total:   4      73       1         1  Total Score = 1,396

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Almost got started on time for this one! I took all antennas down from tower and
installed the bigest 2 meter antennas I had. In a city lot I did not have good
antennas for other bands so I thought I would have the best chance on the higher
bands.I picked 2 over 6 as 6 is so prone to propagation,I did not want to take
the chance it would be good. Things were pretty sparce on two. I have worked
this many Q'S in 15 minutes on 160! But my location helped, being on top of the
Niagra Escarpment. When my equipment worked I got out great but the amp quit
Thursday night and I stayed up until 2:00 AM fixing it. The next day the SWR
went way up on my horizontal beam. It took me many tries to finaly find the
problem in what I least suspected ,the hard line. The outer conducter had
cracked causing a bad connection at the rotator, and every time I lowered the
tower it made connection so it tested fine, so I tore everything apart looking
for the problem as everytime I put it back up it quit after I rotated the beam.
I finaly noticed that was when the fault occured, and found it. Thank God I
built a tilt over crank up tower! Thanks to all the people who took the time
from their qso's to give me a contact. It was a lot of work for a little
result,but as usual it was a lot of fun. No great propagation,but did manage a
few contacts over 200 miles.

EQUIPMENT:
YAESU FT-736R
MIRAGE B1016 ( 100 W)AMP
2 STACKED 11 ELEMENT BEAMS (VERTICAL)  (46 ft level)
15 ELEMENT 25 FT BOOM 2 METER BEAM ( HORIZONTAL)( 42 ft level)
5/8 2 METER VERTICAL ( 50 ft level)
Crank up tilt over tower 40 ft.