[3830] IARU VA7ST SO CW LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] IARU VA7ST SO CW LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 18:55:50 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: SO CW LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 10

  160:
   80:    8      0      3
   40:   62      0     11
   20:  178      0     19
   15:   19      0      9
   10:    0      0      0
---------------------------
Total:  267     61      9  Total Score = 35,406

Club:

Team:

Comments:

Only 10 HQ stations all weekend. Entirely missed any EU openings, if there were
any, which brassed me off seeing as Friday evening signals from places like CT
were S9+ here and I had high hopes of some good EU propagation.

40M disappointed early Saturday evening as usual, with few stations able to hear
me, but picked up nicely well after dark. Must remember next time to pay more
attention to the 20M VK/ZL opening late Saturday night -- was a productive but
brief string of Qs and mults there.

Multipliers and contacts were both down dramatically from last year, despite
using a beam, full 80m delta, and dual deltas on 40m vs. last year's dipoles.
Down nearly 100,000 points this year.

Heavy rain Friday night and Saturday morning allowed me to hear U.S. signals
with S1 noise for a welcome change, but as the sun warmed things up by 9:30 a.m.
the powerline noise jumped back to S7 (the RF buzz and sputtering crept back
between 9:22 and 9:24), wrecking the rest of the day for me.

The FT920 noise blanker knocks the noise down to S5, but it's still almost
impossible to work stations aiming E. I had hoped turning the beam to EU (no
noise north of 30 degrees) would give me something to work with, but nothing
workable was heard all day.

Still, there's nothing quite like a big CW contest to keep a guy hooked. Enjoyed
the contest very much and look forward to next year.