[3830] IOTA VE7AVV SO24SSB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve7avv@shwa.ca
Subject: [3830] IOTA VE7AVV SO24SSB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 12:57:34 -0700
                    IOTA Contest

Call: VE7AVV
Operator(s): VE7AVV
Station: VE7AVV

Class: SO24SSB HP
QTH: Vancouver Island
Operating Time (hrs): 4

   80:   0        0        0       0
   40:   0        0        9       5
   20:   0        0      156      14
   15:   0        0        0       0
   10:   0        0        0       0
Total:   0        0      165      19  Total Score = 15,789

Club: British Columbia DX Club

Comments:

(Score: 831 pts x 19 mults)

My usual early morning opening to JA on 40m phone didn?t materialize. The band
conditions (from my location) were stinko! At the end of the first hour on 40m ?
after calling CQ repeatedly, I had 3 Q?s in the log. There were just no signals.
This is one of those times when you wonder if the contest will be a bust ? but
such was not to be the case here as conditions on 20m would prove to be
moderately productive was the contest progressed.

After an extended early breakfast break, 20m provided a steady rate of domestic
and EU contacts. Most of the EU signals were not very strong and some contacts
required a real effort. The domestic contacts on the other hand were all at
about the same signal strength so sorting out the pile-up proved difficult at
times. It was real treat from time-to-time to hear a single station that was so
much louder than the pile-up ? it provided momentary relaxation from the level
of concentration required to stay acute to the calls in the watery pile-up.

An unexpected family matter took me away from the contest for a good portion of
the day. When I did resume activity in the early evening, 20m was open and once
again produced moderate results until the band closed (for me) around 0420z. I
was fortunate to work a small number of JA stations (on 20m) at the close of the
band which bumped up the score. Moving to 40m resulted in a few more contacts in
the late evening, but once again the regular early morning opening to JA never
materialized.

My thanks to everyone that persevered in the face of less than optimal
conditions to ensure I had their details correct for the log. Like any contest,
this one had its ups-and-downs, but that?s what contesting is all about. Bottom
line, I had fun!

73 de Paul, VE7AVV