[3830] NAQP CW K4RO Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k4ro@k4ro.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW K4RO Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2005 08:37:20 -0700
                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: K4RO
Operator(s): K4RO
Station: K4RO

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: TN
Operating Time (hrs): 10
Radios: SO2R

  160:   78    27
   80:  165    42
   40:  232    46
   20:  245    49
   15:   81    30
   10:   48    18
-------------------
Total:  849   212  Total Score = 179,988

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Team: TCG #1

Comments:

I just edged out last year's score, which was
my first ever top ten appearance in the NAQP.
I had a couple of QSOs log incorrectly, so I
may gain or lose a few Qs or mults. Surprise
DX included Trey in Mexico and Gary in Azores.

Pretty good conditions on all bands from here,
but the thunderstorms were relentless.  I operated
quite a bit with thunderstorms directly overhead.
Stupid for sure, but it was the only way to get
ten hours of operating in. I used the Beverages
for virtually every low band QSO, and a few on 20m.
Hopefully I didn't quit too early and shoot myself
in the foot on the low bands.  Here is what the
lightning map looked like for most of the contest:
http://www.k4ro.net/tcg/pix/NAQP_CW_Aug05_Lightning.gif
(You have to imagine a US map underneath...)

The station played very well.  A lot fo work before the
contest really paid off.  I took down three antennas (an
elevated 40m vertical, a 30m dipole, and a ground mounted
4BTV) and I put up the 4BTV where the 40m vertical was
previously.  Getting the 4BTV off the ground made the antenna
work a LOT better.  KG5U mentioned a few years back that
elevating his second radio vertical turned it from dummy
load into an antenna capable of QSOs.  Thanks Dale;
I finally got around to doing it here also.

Other work included tweaking the match on both tribanders
(moving them a little more towards phone.) I also re-tuned
my 40m Boom feedpoints with the help of neighbor WB4QDA, who
reported SWR readings from the shack to me up the tower via
220Mhz FM. Thanks for the help John; it made a big difference.
The NAQP is the contest for which I have designed my station.
I have a decent domestic signal on all six bands, fully-automated
SO2R, and the ability to QSY very rapidly for moving multipliers.
I look forward to every running of the NAQP, epecially CW.

I've got some strange new QRM on the low bands.  It is strong
on 40meters, but it's also audible on 160m.  It is coming in
from the powerlines, and is still present on a portable radio
when the main house breaker is thrown. It is very loud, and any
help identifying it would be appreciated.  A recording is available
at this URL:  http://www.k4ro.net/k4ro/audio/K4RO_40m_QRN.mp3

I'm still suffering from SO2R interference on some bands, but
I am making some progress in quieting things down.  I need some
more filtering.  It's time for some stubs for the low bands now.
I also need a better way to mount the relays and the myriad of
incoming cables.  Any photos/tips appreciated.

Thanks for the QSOs and especially the MOVES!

73

-Kirk  K4RO     http://www.k4ro.net

(If I play in SSB, I'll use my middle name, Bob.)