[3830] NAQP CW KG5U Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kg5u@hal-pc.org
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW KG5U Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2005 09:16:13 -0700
                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: KG5U
Operator(s): KG5U
Station: KG5U

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): 7.5
Radios: SO2R

  160:    0     0
   80:   52    23
   40:   65    26
   20:  147    45
   15:  111    30
   10:    9     6
-------------------
Total:  384   130  Total Score = 49,920

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Team: Austin Powers Enchiladas

Comments:

What fun that was!

 I still have an antenna switching and beam T-ing problem. I had to
 to break out my SixPak switchbox and manually change antennas. Need
 to add a toggle switch to swap antennas/radios (R1-C3/R2-A3 >>
 R1-A3/R2-C3 -- A3 is NW ant; C3 is rotatable, but generally NE ant).
 I probably would have fried my filters if I hadn't been operating QRP
 on some band changes when I didn't follow with the antenna.  But,
 it was interesting working at least three or four stations on 80m with
 one of the beams.  :-)
 SO2R is getting smoother and more comfortable to use.  The key seems
 to be in my audio switching.  TopTen DXD helped smooth that out a lot.
 Once I get the antenna switching problem resolved, SO2R should be even
 easier.
 This time out, I actually had four QSO's that happened when I called
 the S&P target only to have someone answer the CQ while I was getting
 and sending the S&P's exchange.  I managed to nail the CQ callers
 without much delay before they drifted off.
 Once, in a QSO with W9RE, the E on the keyboard would not work.  I had
 to hit multiple ESC's and retype call and exchnage.  I'm sure Mike
 knew he was dealing with an idiot when he called; I just confirmed it
 for him.
 10m activity was really light.  15m activity was lighter than I can
 remember in a while. But, the 6's were really BIG around 2300z.  K6LA
 was literally pinning the meter then; others were very very strong--all
 previously worked, though.  Darn.
 20m was, as usually the big QSO band.  In the last couple of hours of
 the contest, my CQ's on 80 actually resulted in more responses than on
 40m.  Gotta get that 40m element on the C3 before WW CW and SS CW.
 Timewise, I took an extra 2 hours off to take care of some non-radio things.
 At the time, I felt I needed to get that done.  Now, as I write this
 Sunday morning, I'm wondering why I couldn't have waited till now.  Duh....

 Otherwise, great fun!!