[3830] NAQP CW K7UP Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW K7UP Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2005 13:18:40 -0700
                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: K7UP
Operator(s): K7UP
Station: K7UP

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: NM
Operating Time (hrs): ?

  160:
   80:   3      3
   40:  30     15
   20:  29     18
   15:   2      2
   10:
-------------------
Total:  64     38  Total Score = 2,432

Club:

Team: Azenmokers

Comments:

A lesson in humble pie eating.....About 1/45th of my Jan 04 QRP score. I moved
to this QTH in February and haven't put up any towers or real antennas of  any
kind yet. You know how that goes, but I'm thinking about it. At 63 years young I
wondered if it's worth it, it is, humble pie doesn't taste good. Set up was a K2
and hunk of wire about 50' long at 10' (at the most) high. The tuner in the K2
even balked on 160M, and on 15M all 5W of my output must have been coupled into
the computer to radio keying interface, what a fright,  five watt keying
lock-up. The K2 tuner will usually provide a match to anything. I managed to
stick it out for a couple hours off and on, and then figured, why should I put
the other operators through such pain.  It seemed like the K index was at least
50, and the A index was off scale. Were the bands open, I couldn't tell. I
really need to do something before SSCW, at least raise the hunk of wire to 15
or maybe even 20 feet high. Have to tell you, it was still fun. Hey, I couldn't
let the Azenmokers down!