[3830] ARRL UHF K9JK/R Rover HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, hamk9jk@ameritech.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL UHF K9JK/R Rover HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 14:53:47 -0700
                    ARRL August UHF QSO Party

Call: K9JK/R
Operator(s): K9JK
Station: K9JK/R

Class: Rover HP
QTH: EN33,43,51-53,61,62
Operating Time (hrs): 13

  222:   64    20
  432:   64    14
  903:    4     2
  1.2:   20     9
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  152    52  Total Score = 27,456

Club:

Comments:

Calling this a 3.1 band effort due to the return of deafness to the 903
Transverter and not having time to open the unit up to repair before the
contest.

Covered the 3 of the 4 Grids close to home (EN62, 51 and 61) with a late start
on Saturday, plus a little bit of time in EN52. Left early Sunday morning to
drive through EN52, EN53 and EN43, targetting to reach the EN33/34/43/44 Grid
Corner with at least two hours to go in the contest...but only had about an hour
and 5 minutes when I arrived. I made the most of it with 17 Qs from EN33
(including 3 over 200 miles) in about 40 minutes, hopped back to EN43 for
another 4 Qs in another 10 minutes, back to EN33 for a band I'd missed with one
of the 200 mile stations and finally back to EN43 for a 1296 QSO that was my
last, at 1759. Or is that bad rover behavior...hopping back and forth across a
grid line to work more stations? (At least they weren't other rovers.)

Highlights...worked three stations from 6 of the 7 Grids I visited on 222, N9DG,
N9TZL and KC9BQA. The same three stations were also prominent on 432, N9DG from
6, N9TZL and KC9BQA from 5. 33 Total calls in the log. Two other 'prominent'
QSOs were while I was MOBILE...on 222, a 250 mile path from I-90 near LaCrosse,
WI (EN43ju), to KM0T and the other on 1296 from EN52xc to K2YAZ.

While I wasn't totally "maniacal", I tried to lend support to Rovermania II and
I congratulate what I have seen on other reflectors about some of the results
from stations up in and around the Minneapolis 'SUPER-extended' area. I think it
brought out a lot more stations that I was able to work...I suspect just from
the 'promise' of more stations being out there TO work.

73, JK