[3830] WAE CW ZL6QH(ZL2BSJ) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w.knol@niwa.co.nz
Subject: [3830] WAE CW ZL6QH(ZL2BSJ) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 23:36:41 -0700
                    WAE DX Contest, CW

Call: ZL6QH
Operator(s): ZL2BSJ
Station: ZL6QH

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Wellington
Operating Time (hrs): 33

   80:   50    48    60
   40:  368   309   117
   20:  264   247    74
   15:   21     7    10
   10:    0     0     0
-------------------------
Total:  703   611   271  Total Score = 354,739

Club: QHUG

Comments:

When 40 m is the best band for Eu...then you're in a solar minimum! Poor condx
on 20 m and above in the first part of the contest: no 20 m Eu long path, and
weak, fluttery signals on the short path, even from Southern Eu.

To compensate, there was a great 1.5 hour 80 m short path with strong signals
from Eastern Eu and a lucky, shared grey-line to DL/F/EA. Unfortunately, the 80
m antenna of choice was out of action, which hurt my signals in Eu.

The second half of the contest saw slightly better signals on 20, and even a
weak 15 m Eu short path fading in and out, but 10 m remained firmly closed. 10 m
to EA/CT/I may have been possible in the ZL Monday morning over the USA as condx
picked up, but the 10 m yagi was on strike..

In any case, I had to go QRT on Sunday night (loc) for work on Monday.

Highlights of the contest were working fellow ZL6QH op Franz, DA0I/DK1II, and to
have Chris ZL1CT turn up with enough food to feed an army. The QTC concept helps
to keep the contest interesting at the end, when the bands have been worked dry.
Congrats to Eu CW ops who copied QTCs at 34 WPM with few repeats....good
skills.

QSL via ZL2AOH/Bureau.

73

Wilbert, ZL2BSJ (@ ZL6QH)