[3830] OhQP K8MR/R Rover LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] OhQP K8MR/R Rover LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 09:34:56 -0700
                    Ohio QSO Party

Call: K8MR/R
Operator(s): K8MR, W8DRZ
Station: K8MR

Class: Rover LP
QTH: 13 Counties
Operating Time (hrs): 12

   80:   70     57
   40:  362    140
   20:  149     37
   15:    3      0
   10:    0      0
--------------------
Total:  584    234  CW Mults = 71  Ph Mults = 76  Total Score = 204,692

Club: Northern Ohio DX Association

Comments:

By County:

         CW       SSB
MAHO     62        24
COLU     22        10
CARR     32         4
JEFF     40        48
HARR     38        10
GUER     53        13
BELM     38        11
MONR     72        40
NOBL     61        11
WASH     44         8
MORG     66        54
MUSK     29         0
TUSC     30         1

Total   584        234

MULTS
Cty       32       39
States    39       36           146 Total

Since in our mobile efforts we typically spend 3 to 4 hours operating while
parked, I've often figured that a few minutes spent erecting a dipole to get
another 3 or so S-units on 40 or 80 would be well spent.  With the Rover class,
I think we've now confirmed that. This year we spent about 6 hours stopped, as
reported by the GPS unit.

We set up a fixed antenna - a dipole at 25 feet or so at the center, maybe 6
feet at the ends - in four counties, MAHO, JEFF, MONR, and MORG. (Well, except
for the first stop, W8DRZ set them up). It was great to be able to run stations
on SSB, although the JEFF and MONR stops were during the period of poor in state
propagation. Probably 20 of the SSB counties would not have been worked with
mobile antennas, though only a couple of SSB states were a direct gain.

It was wonderful to have some good conditions for a change. Half an hour before
the contest I heard W8FT warming up on 40, very weak. I figured it would be
another typical OQP weekend, but once we were set up 5 minutes before the start
we lined up a bunch of loud close guys like AD8J/STAR, K8NZ, and WT8C.  20 was
also a big surprise, where we worked a number of SW OH stations with good
signals in the first two hours.  I tried 15 a couple of times, but worked only
K4MF in FL twice and WA8ZBT in TX once.

A new addition to the mobile setup was a full time 75/80 antenna, a Hustler 75M
resonator that could be capacity hat loaded for 80 CW.  That was responsible for
a modest number of daytime/early evening 75 meter phone qsos.

The MORG stop was at the Miner's Memorial Park OH 78 east of McConellsville.
One end of the 80 meter dipole was held up by a string thrown over the side of
the 240 cubic yard drag line bucket.

Thanks to all for making this a good time.  See you in OQP 2006!

73  -  Jim & Jim      K8MR - W8DRZ