[3830] NA Sprint CW KA9FOX LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ka9fox@qth.com
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint CW KA9FOX LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 22:04:37 -0700
                    NA Sprint CW Contest

Call: KA9FOX
Operator(s): KA9FOX
Station: KA9FOX

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: WI
Operating Time (hrs): 4:00

   80:   21
   40:  123
   20:   50
---------------------

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Team: SMC #2

Comments:

My tower is up at my new QTH, but no antennas up yet.  Made last minute decision
to get on for this contest, and so I threw up an old Alpha-Delta DXCC at 30 ft
up the tower.  It's a 5 band "fan" dipole, with the 80m portion shortened using
traps.  I found out that it was tuned for SSB on 40 & 80 but didn't bother to
take it back down to mess with it.  It seemed to work OK on 40m, but on 80m I
felt like I was running into a dummy load.  The good news is that the QTH seems
to be a quiet one.  I hope to have the real antennas up soon, maybe even before
SSB Sprint.

Wow, conditions were awful for this contest, at least from W9. Maybe it was my
crappy antenna, but I would guess it was due to the flare.  All the bands seemed
long.  In fact I only worked a couple IL and IN and only one here in WI and
nearby MN.

Whatever... a Sprint with crappy conditions and a crappy antenna is still better
than no Sprint at all. Great fun, always!! Bring on the next one!

73 - Scott KA9FOX
ka9fox@qth.com
http://www.qth.com/ka9fox